· To delight our guests and provide The Mandarin Experience by preparing and serving food as dictated by the menu, guests (internal or external) or management in a clean safe and timely manner. Keep a clean work area and a positive attitude, helping out wherever necessary to deliver a product that will exceed our guest’s expectations.
- Read, write and communicate verbally in English.
- Follow directions and maintain good working relationships with supervisors and managers.
- To fabricate a wide variety of foods in all modern and classical cooking techniques.
- Works any and all stations as assigned by management throughout the hotel.
- Set up, service and breakdown food stations for private functions in The Aviary or The Office.
- Follows recipes with precision to create high level cuisine for our guests.
- Work with cutlery in a proficient, safe and swift manner.
- Follow proper payroll and uniform procedures.
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and properly in the kitchen.
- Measures and makes recipes as directed by chefs.
- Maintains the work area throughout preparation pre-service time and throughout service.
- Maintains storage areas and vessels with care and thorough attention to detail.
- Works effectively with fellow staff members.
- Fully complies with all health department requirements for food and beverage safety and staff hygiene.
- Stores ingredients, bottles, glassware, and service pieces precisely.
- Adheres to safety and emergency procedures to protect staff, guests, and property.
- Reports any maintenance deficiencies in a quick and timely way.
- Demonstrates courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff; acts in a manner that promotes a harmonious and effective workplace environment.
- Monitors bottle and ingredient levels regularly and communicates ordering needs to management.
- Utilize the computer system and to read all orders.
- Prepare and present on a timely basis all foods for meal service.
- Respect and accommodate servers request regarding guests’ preference and requests.
- Handle all types of food and rotate it according to established procedure.
- Work closely with standard recipes and plate presentation in order to maintain standards of quality in production and presentation.
- Complete requisitions, obtains proper signatures, submit, pick up transport and store all items.
- Work standing for up to ten hours in a kitchen environment.
- Clean all work and storage areas.
- Ensure a clean, neat and organized work area.
- Report and handle any accident immediately, no matter how minor.
- Maintain a good working relationship with other employees, providing instruction and encouragement as needed.
- Respond properly in any hotel emergency or safety situation.
- Perform other task or projects as assigned by hotel management and staff.
- Work as a team.
- Work flexible hours as hotel business changes.
- Culinary School Certificate or equivalent experience
- Two year degree or Apprenticeship
- Up to Date Sanitation Classes
- Possess a good written and verbal command of the English Language.
- Possess a pleasant and outgoing personality
- Expert knowledge of kitchen equipment
- Working knowledge of mathematics for recipes, and ordering
- Ability to dictate responsibility, pay attention to detail, handle multiple tasks and show a high level of patience
- Ability to work under high stress conditions
- Ability to :
- Lift or Carry 0-20 pounds frequently
- Lift or Carry 21-50 pounds occasionally
- Bend frequently
- Squat frequently
- Kneel occasionally
- Climb occasionally
- Reach above shoulders frequently
- Perform repetitive hand motions frequently
- Ability to stand and work in continuously in confined spaces for long periods of time
- Possess Sufficient dexterity to use all kitchen equipment
- Ability to lift, bend, stoop, walk, push, and pull heavy equipment for long periods of time
- Ability to perform all duties in extreme temperature ranges
Mandarin Oriental, New York is proud to offer competitive compensation and benefit plans
Advanced Knife Handling
General knife handling
Experience in a Fine Dining Establishment
Other jobs you might be interested in
Bar / Lounge, Upscale Casual
The Alinea Group is proud to partner with The Mandarin Oriental New York City. Chef Grant Achatz and Beverage Director, Micah Melton, are building a team to bring The Aviary and Office starting this summer.
The Aviary NYC will deliver stunning food offerings, an extraordinary list of rare spirits, classic cocktails, and interactive beverage presentations. The right candidate for this team is excited about elevated food and service, proud of sourcing the best products, and dedicated to hospitality as their career.