Position Summary: A food runner is responsible for delivering food from the kitchen to the guests in a manner that is in accordance with the service standards of One Off Hospitality.
This position is deemed ‘seasonal’ and is limited to the warmer months. This position is also effected by and dependent on weather conditions in the warmer month ie: patio season.
Options for employment during the off-season vary based on staffing needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
• To be completely proficient with the food menu, not only in order to properly describe each dish that is brought to the table but to answer any guest inquiries regarding ingredients or concerns about allergies and dietary restrictions.
• To act as the liaison between the front of the house and the back of house through communication with the service staff members and the expeditor.
• To fulfill any guest requests that may arise as food is being delivered. If he/she is unable to fulfill that request personally, it is his/her responsibility to find another team member who can be of assistance.
• When delivering food, always providing a brief description of the dish—never dropping and dashing.
• Alerting guests of anything out of the ordinary with a dish—if something is exceptionally hot or providing directions about dishes that may require a unique means of going about their enjoyment.
• To be able to carry multiple plates and remember their precise destinations at one time.
• Always maintain a positive, and team-oriented, demeanor.
• Assist in housekeeping tasks when asked and follow direction.
• Maintain an awareness of all product knowledge information and information on history of restaurant.
• Adhere to all Company policies, procedures and practices including health & safety, and loss prevention.
• Any other duties as assigned by management.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
• High School Diploma or GED graduate.
• Ability to handle stress under pressure.
• Ability to provide quality guest service.
• Willingness to maintain a clean, healthy, and safe working environment.
• Ability to coordinate multiple activities with attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
Physical Demands and Work Environment
• Ability to freely access all areas of the restaurant including dining room floor, outside cafe, kitchen, prep area, washrooms, etc.
• Ability to move quick and carefully in narrow and confined spaces.
• Ability to be flexible with job demands and open minded when being asked to complete tasks.
• Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus. Tasting and smelling abilities are required occasionally to distinguish with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors and/or odors.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, and hot liquids. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Food Preparation Knowledge
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR is a whiskey, tequila, cocktail, and beer-focused venue located in the heart of Wicker Park, Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Julie Warpinski have crafted an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space reminiscent of a California honky tonk. The food, liquor and cocktail programs change continuously to complement the seasons, and always features six beers on tap, and an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by staff members at distilleries in Kentucky.