The pastry cook is responsible for the daily preparation, production and finishing of all pastry and desserts that are served at Union Square Café and Daily Provisions. The pastry cook, may be asked to work in a variety of techniques and stations, but not limited to production and service. Pastry cooks typically have several duties that revolve around helping the kitchen stay clean and maintaining the high standards of the operation. The Baker may also be required to help prep pastry items.
Follow all recipes, and presentation specifics as set forth by Pastry Chef, Pastry Sous Chef or Pastry Supervisor
- Effectively prepare all recipes in a timely manner for specific service period.
- Ensure consistency with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules.
- Effectively communicate errors/ inconsistencies etc. to teammates and expeditors and correct the problem immediately
Prep and Kitchen Organization:
- Follow all opening/closing kitchen procedures
- Set up station according to Chef/Kitchen guidelines
- Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed
Safety and Maintenance:
Prepare all food according to Food Handlers Guidelines
- Handle, store, and rotate all products according to proper FIFO procedures
- Understand and adhere DOL and DOH safety and sanitation standards when cleaning and maintaining the kitchen
- Properly use and maintain all kitchen equipment
- Maintain a clean and stocked workplace, kitchen area, storage area and walk-in
- Track and report any food waste
Skills & Requirements
Understanding of professional cooking and knife handling skills
Knowledge and understanding of safety, sanitation and food handling procedures.
Understand & follow written and verbal instruction & direction
Attention to detail and ability to smell & taste
Manages self calmly and effectively under pressure
The ability to regularly reach with hands and arms, climb, balance, stoop, kneel or crawl.
Repetitive hand or arm motions.
Lifting and/or moving up to 50 lbs regularly
Standing or walking for up to 10 hours at a time.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Union Square Hospitality Group
In October of 1985, Danny Meyer opened his first restaurant, Union Square Cafe. A new Breed of American eatery, USC paired imaginative food and wine with caring hospitality, comfortable surroundings and exceptional value. Serving American cuisine with an Italian soul. USC was an immediate hit.
From outstanding wines by the glass, dining at the bar and seasonal ingredients to an emerging downtown location and a mission to support our community, USC has changed the restaurant landscape in NYC and across the country. A critical success form the outset, USC has twice garnered The New York Times' three-star rating, and also earned Zagat Survey's #1 ranking as New York's Most Popular Restaurant for an unprecedented eight years.
We offer medical, dental, vision, 401K, flex pay, life insurance, employee dining program and paid vacation. USHG provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age,
disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.