TITLE: Sous chef- Pastry
RESTAURANT: The Publican
REPORTS TO: Managing Partners, Director of Operations, Executive Pastry Chef, Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine
Position Summary Back-end management that assists Pastry Chef in directing and overseeing Pastry activities at The Publican Restaurant in accordance with standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assists Pastry Chef in implementing and enforcing written job descriptions, standards, and cleaning responsibilities of pastry cooks and externs.
- Facilitates the pastry cooks plating at The Publican, managing their training, performing line checks, and spending time on the line in the evenings with them to ensure efficiency, success, and quality control.
- Assists with development of recipes and portion specifications of the dessert menu at The Publican in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Assists with ordering, ensuring orders are completed and submitted by 10pm, 11 pm on Friday and Saturday.
- Ensures product is prepared and packaged for morning delivery to Anker on a nightly basis.
- Maintains inventory of product in the pastry department, practicing proper rotation and timely utilization and preservation of product, eliminating any spoiled product on a daily basis, and ensuring minimum waste.
- Participates in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Promotes a team spirit, and good morale among employees, and a cooperative spirit amongst the pastry team and the bread team within the same space.
- Have strong communication with Executive Pastry Chef, Executive Chef, Chef De Cuisine, Sous Chef and FOH manager to communicate any issues, concerns, or ideas.
- Communicates with Executive Pastry Chef to resolve any HR issues involving the pastry team in an appropriate and timely fashion.
- Helps with duties of other employees (i.e. pastry line cooks, cooks, and dishwashers, etc.) when necessary because of an unexpected absence or extra volume.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals, prepare food costing, and prepare computer reports as required
- Culinary degree or college degree preferred with concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition, or related field.
- Previous restaurant experience required.
- Previous management experience preferred.
- Serve Safe Certification required.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that restaurant supervisors do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Supervisors must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with staff and guest. Supervisors in this position typically work fifty hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open six days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours. Any overtime hours must be approved by chef de cuisine prior to working. This includes work both inside the restaurant and outside the restaurant (emails, phone calls, etc).
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
From the team that created Blackbird and avec restaurants, The Publican is a beer-focused restaurant located at 837 W. Fulton Market in Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Jacob Saben craft an eclectic menu inspired by simple farmhouse fare in a space evocative of a European beer hall. Designed by James Beard Award-Winner Thomas Schlesser, The Publican features the same simple lines and strong design elements that made the architect’s long-time partnership with Design Project Manager/Partner Donnie Madia so successful. A partnership between Executive Chef Paul Kahan, Donnie Madia, Terry Alexander and Eduard Seitan, The Publican anchors the burgeoning Fulton Market District.