RESTAURANT: Big Star Wrigleyville
Position Summary Hourly position that directs and oversees all product receiving and storage organization activities at Big Star Wrigleyville in accordance with standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- To be familiar with the all items on the Big Star Wrigleyville food and beverage menus.
- Check in all deliveries to ensure accuracy. Any incorrect product or product not up to standards must be sent back and noted through invoice and phone conversation with vendor and Purchasing Manager.
- Receives and contacts vendors to find out status of an order. Contacts vendors with discrepancies with quantity and quality.
- Confers with vendors to obtain product or service information such as delivery schedule.
- Possess a great understanding of the City of Chicago’s food safety requirements as it relates to the receiving of perishable products. You are the first line of food borne illness defense.
- Organize product as needed and ensure the walk-in is kept to a high standard of cleanliness.
- Have strong communication with Purchasing Manager, Chefs, and FOH management to ensure success of the restaurant’s ordering, inventory, and equipment needs.
- Setup goals to further advance the success of the position, restaurant, and property.
- Keep an eye out for general maintenance needs (lights out, broken chairs, equipment) and report to Management suggesting possible solutions.
- Along with the kitchen management team, ensure the sanitation, maintenance, and upkeep of restaurant is always maintained.
- Continually maintain the cleanliness of the grounds around the restaurant.
- Promotes cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among employees.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school diploma or GED certificate.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Excellent staff education and motivation skills.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Must have excellent phone skills and interact well with others.
- Previous BOH restaurant experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and other computer programs.
- Strong communication skills to work well with FOH and BOH team.
- Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands of this job can be both physically and mentally demanding. One may be on their feet for long periods of time. One must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with employees and vendors. A receiver will typically work forty hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and is open seven days a week, receivers may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR WRIGLEY, opening spring 2018, is the second location of One Off Hospitality Group's Big Star: a bar and taqueria that pays homage to all-things whiskey, Mexican-inspired street food and honky tonk.
Drawing from the original Big Star location, Big Star Wrigley will feature an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space that combines the electric energy of Chicago's north side with the honky-tonk charm of our Wicker Park space. The food, liquor and cocktail programs will change continuously to complement the seasons, and will always feature several beers on tap, as well as an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by our own team members at distilleries in Kentucky.