TITLE: Catering & Events Sous Chef
RESTAURANT: Publican Quality Meats, The Publican, Publican Anker
REPORTS TO: Managing Partners, Director of Operations, Culinary Director, Chef de Cuisine
Position Summary Back-end management that directs and oversees all activities in Publican Catering Department in accordance with standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Has a great passion for catering and events.
- Is focused on systems development related to the catering program. These are systems related to event planning as it relates to the BOH, communication with PQM, The Publican, Publican Anker and catering staffing/hiring systems.
- Any systems that impact the operation of the PQM kitchen will be communicated to the PQM CDC prior to implementation of those systems.
- Works in conjunction with the Catering and Events Sales Manager and Assistant to ensure effective communication and departmental efficiency. The Catering Sales Manager is the lead for sales, customer communication, package development, and rental agreements. The Catering Chef will consult with the Sales Manager regarding these items.
- Is directly responsible for the hiring, scheduling, and managing of all catering and events BOH employees.
- Is responsible for the hiring, discipline, and termination of catering and events employees only. Consults with the CDC regarding any human resource related issues with the PQM kitchen employees. Resolves those HR issues with the assistance of the CDC and People Services Manager.
- Is responsible for scheduling with the PQM CDC for all food production, departmental events and functions. The CDC will communicate production to the prep kitchen. The Catering Chef will double check that the order has been fulfilled.
- Is responsible for the scheduled maintenance and cleanliness of the PQM truck and refrigerated truck rental.
- Manages the entire culinary portion of the catering program. Is responsible for the correct fulfillment of catering orders. Communicates directly with the sales manager regarding the scheduling and fulfillment of catering orders
- Adjusts work schedule in accordance with the daily schedule of catering orders. Helps oversee prep/package/fulfill all catering orders. Delegates prep and packaging accordingly. Works the hours needed to ensure the success and development of the catering and events program, this may mean longer than expected shifts.
- Responsible for the daily posting of catering food needs. Is ultimately responsible for the production of these items as they relate to the catering and events department.
- Is responsible for organizing all load outs for chef driven events as well as off-site catering events.
- Work events as the Publican brand Catering Chef, and represents the Publican brand BOH accordingly.
- With the approval of the CDC, Culinary Director and Executive Chef, develops recipes and food items specific to the catering and events department menus. This includes purchasing specifications and costing related to the catering menu.
- Approves the use of outside food vendors with Culinary Director and CDC- i.e.- an outside dessert vendor. Once those items are approved, is responsible for the ordering of those items.
- Participates in menu costing items on the catering and events menu using the Chef Tec program.
- Works with the sales manager in structuring departmental financial goals and event price points or new packages.
- Helps with purchasing all back of house supplies related to catering and events, and oversees use to ensure minimum waste. Develops supply pars with the assistance of GM, and reviews all orders with GM prior to placing.
- Maintains organization of catering and events equipment and dry goods storage.
- Helps, along with the CDC, Sous Chefs, and Supervisors, maintain the cleanliness and organization of the walk in cooler. Maintains an organized area in the cooler as it relates to DIY orders. Ensures employees have an understanding of proper product rotation.
- Assists with all PDR ordering and staffing.
- Works with CDC to develop offsite catering and PDR menu items.
- Alerts CDC regarding maintenance required to restaurant and grounds.
- Guides, teaches, motivates staff to follow recipes, encourage healthy communication throughout team, follows guidelines set by management, and always make to-go, prep, main line, catering seem as one team, always.
- Ensures great communication with the PQM CDC. Communicates directly to the CDC regarding prep team issues related to food for the catering and events program; maintains a weekly meeting with CDC and Catering Sales Manager.
- Communicates directly to the CDC regarding PQM employee or procedural issues. Solves those issues as a team.
- Is always unified with the PQM kitchen management in front of the PQM FOH and BOH employees. When differences arise, those differences are always resolved amongst managers privately.
- Promotes cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among employees.
- Resolves complaints from guests in a polite, friendly manner always making sure we follow up with them when needed. Involve the GM whenever necessary.
- Have strong communication with BOH managers, FOH managers, and Catering Sales Manager to communicate any issues, concerns, or ideas.
- When catering jobs and events are absent, continues to develop catering and events systems and ideas, consults directly with the CDC regarding any help needed in the PQM kitchen and then may be required to work in other roles.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals, prepare food costing, and prepare computer reports as required
- Culinary degree or college degree preferred with concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition, or related field.
- Previous restaurant experience required.
- Previous catering/event experience required.
- Previous management experience required.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management and organizational skills required.
- Comfortable with computers, word processing, and creating spreadsheets.
- Is a self-starter, with a high degree of personal responsibility.
- Possesses the ability to communicate at a high level.
- Believes in the power of great customer service.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that restaurant chefs do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Managers must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with employees and customers. Managers typically work fifty five to sixty hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open six days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will posses the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Casual Dining, Butcher Shop, Markets
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
Publican Quality Meats is a unique restaurant concept that combines simple elements that answer the call of an awaiting market. This Contemporary American Butcher Shop is the vision of four acclaimed Chicago restaurateurs: Chef Paul Kahan, Donnie Madia, Terry Alexander, and Eduard Seitan.
The 32-seat dining area makes Publican Quality Meats the perfect place for large group dinners or intimate cocktail gatherings. Each event is personalized to meet the individual needs of all guests, with menus crafted from local, seasonal ingredients and beverages sourced from producers that are deemed as the best in their trade.