Assistant Dining Room Manager
Hourly / Non-Exempt
Dining Room Manager
The Cosmos Club, founded in 1878, is a private social club for men and women distinguished in science, literature and the arts or public service. Members come from virtually every profession that has anything to do with scholarship, creative genius or intellectual distinction.
The Assistant Dining Room Manager is responsible for supporting the Dining Room Manager to ensure that all shifts run smoothly and in a consistent manner (staff and members should enjoy similar experiences regardless of who is running the floor). They are responsible for training staff on a regular basis in a manner and tone that is on par with the one set by the Dining Room Manager. Appropriate and timely communication with the Dining Room Manager and the Food & Beverage Director is also essential to success in this role.
• Anticipates guest’s needs and ensure that service meets and/or exceeds expectations to ensure an outstanding dining experience
• Inspects table settings, chairs, floors, proper maintenance, cleanliness and safety in the dining room
• Establishes stations and seating charts for each service shift, acknowledging member and guest preferences, while keeping a count of guests per server ratio in accordance with standards
• Manages the guest reservation system
• Receives and greets guests
• Checks tables throughout service times for guest satisfaction and resolve guest complaints
• Coordinates food service between kitchen and service staff
• Reviews and revises wine lists and menus when necessary
• Monitors and records daily wine inventory and ensures par levels are met and sales are accurate
• Participates in the monthly wine inventory
• Supervises the dining room staff and maintains uniform service standards
• Conducts daily line-up with dining room staff
• Reviews daily specials, stations and other applicable announcements
• Audits chits before shift closing to ensure accuracy with member charges and guest room charges before posting to accounts
• Monitors staff scheduling a day in advance to avoid overtime, increases staff if business needs warrant or cuts staff if they do not
• Trains new-hires in service standards and menu items
• Enforces Club rules, regulations and policies
• Follows appropriate disciplinary procedures when necessary and communicates to the Dining Room Manager and F&B Director
• Maintains open communication with all staff
• In absence of other F&B managers, serves as Manager on Duty (MOD) and handles opening or closing procedures
• Attends management and staff meetings as scheduled
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of 1 year of previous supervisory experience in restaurant/hospitality venue
o Preferred experience in fine dining
• Superb customer service, communication and interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Excellent problem solver and team player
• Flexible with varying schedules to reflect business needs
• Must have knowledge of food & beverage preparation and service
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand for long periods of time, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms.
• Must be able to lift, carry, push and pull food trays, carts, chairs and tables up to 40 lbs with or without reasonable accommodation
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Hours and Benefits:
• Full time position
• Flexible schedule needed: potential weekends and holidays
• Includes paid time off and paid holidays
• Health benefits, 401k and life insurance offered
• Rate of pay will commensurate with experience
Cosmos Club provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Cosmos Club complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Cosmos Club expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Cosmos Club employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Inquiries can be addressed to Carolyn Rehman, Human Resources Coordinator
• Includes paid holidays, sick leave and vacation •Health benefits, 401k and life insurance offered • Rate of pay will commensurate with experience
Other jobs you might be interested in
The Cosmos Club (the “Club”) is a private social club, incorporated in Washington, DC in 1878 by men distinguished in science, literature, and the arts. In June 1988, the Club voted to welcome women as members. Since its founding, the Club has elected as members individuals in virtually every profession that has anything to do with scholarship, creative genius, or intellectual distinction. Among its members, have been three Presidents, two Vice Presidents, a dozen Supreme Court Justices, 32 Nobel Prize winners, 56 Pulitzer Prize winners, and 45 recipients of the Presidential Medal of Freedom.
The Club has approximately 3,200 members, both resident and nonresident.