TITLE: Big Star Event and Catering Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Event Sales Managers & Catering Director
Position Summary- an event coordinator works closely with the event sales manager to organize and maintain event supplies, staff & systems in order to execute seamless events.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities-The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Attend weekly catering BEO meetings as scheduled in both Wicker Park & Wrigleyville locations.
- Update all calendars and maintain consistent communication with event manager regarding availability.
- Create menus and signage for semi-private events.
- Pack load outs for semi-private events.
- Assist restaurant staff with setup and breakdown of an event.
- Work closely with Catering Chef, Chef de Cuisines, Sous Chefs and Beverage Directors to maintain understanding & knowledge of all seasonal offerings with respect to food and beverage.
- Oversee events in order to ensure that all service standards are carried out for impeccable food, beverage and guest accommodation. This may include catering orders, food truck events, semi-private events, cooking classes and off premise, full-service events.
- When Event Supervisor, be the main contact and responsible party for both clients & OOH staff.
- Become familiar with the POS system in charging events and ringing items for parties.
- Conduct event follow-up with recaps to event manager.
- Conduct walk-throughs and tastings for potential and booked semi-private clients.
- When event managers are unavailable, assist in fielding phone and email inquiries.
- When in restaurant, greet all guests with a warm, friendly and professional demeanor.
- Maintain composure and positivity when under pressure.
- Exercise punctuality in all daily operations, meetings, site visits and events.
- Always maintain a positive, and team-oriented, demeanor.
- Assist in housekeeping tasks when asked, including maintaining event storage in basement
- Adhere to all Company policies, procedures and practices including health & safety, and loss prevention.
- Any other duties as assigned by management.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Serv Safe Sanitation Certified required.
- Basset Certification required.
- High School Diploma or GED graduate.
- Ability to handle stress under pressure.
- Ability to provide quality guest service.
- Strong communication and follow through skills.
- Willingness to maintain a clean, healthy, and safe working environment.
- Ability to learn and use company computer to input data.
- Ability to coordinate multiple activities with attention to detail.
- High organization skills and a penchant for time management.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Ability to be flexible with schedule and attend events as needed. This may be AM, PM, weekends or holidays, when needed.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time, and to climb and descend stairs
The work that catering and event coordinators does is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet for several hours at a time. Staff in this position typically work forty hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open six days a week, one may work longer, irregular hours. Any overtime hours must be approved by manager prior to working. This includes work both inside the restaurant and outside the restaurant (emails, phone calls, etc).
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by staff to successfully perform and those staff encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualifying individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
This position requires staff to work in close quarters with other staff and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other staff and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff is regularly required to talk or hear in a loud environment. The staff is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The staff may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR is a whiskey, tequila, cocktail, and beer-focused venue located in the heart of Wicker Park, Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Julie Warpinski have crafted an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space reminiscent of a California honky tonk. The food, liquor and cocktail programs change continuously to complement the seasons, and always features six beers on tap, and an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by staff members at distilleries in Kentucky.