The Sous Chef oversees and coordinates daily activities and operations of cooks and other employees engaged in preparing and cooking food products; maintains the quality, presentation, professional attitude, and sanitation of the kitchen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Train and develop kitchen staff; train cooks/kitchen staff in the importance of consistency in preparation and presentation.
• Ensure that level of quality, portion control, and plate presentation is adhered to consistently.
• Monitor and maintain line plating and quality.
• Prepare a variety of cuisine utilizing skill and creativity.
• Coordinate with wait staff to ensure customer expectations are met or exceeded.
• Assist with inventory management, maintaining information in computer databases and other standardized reports as needed.
• Maintain a clean, organized, and safe kitchen; ensure all sanitation procedures are being followed; ensure adherence to all health and safety regulations and procedures.
• Assist chef/executive chef as needed.
• Skillfully utilizes hand tools or machines required, reads recipes, measures, cuts, and otherwise works on materials with great precision.
• Establish procedures, prepares and coordinates schedules, and expedites workflow.
• Assist with hiring, training, motivating, disciplining and rewarding kitchen staff.
• Ensure all necessary reports and forms are completed daily.
• Possess and maintain through understanding of industry and stays abreast of industry trends; communicate/incorporate information to assure kitchen remains current.
• May perform other duties as assigned.
Advanced Knife Handling
Culinary Menu / Recipe Development
Food / Beverage Pairing
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Levy Restaurants
Located on the Chicago River, RIVER ROAST offers dramatic city and water views from every seat - inside and out. James Beard award-winning Chef Tony Mantuano and Executive Chef John Hogan’s menu of contemporary American tavern fare is satisfying and soul-warming. Meat, fish and veggies are roasted and carved tableside. Inventive drinks are on draft and cold-brewed cocktails from two slow drip infusion towers are offered alongside a large selection of local and Midwestern beers, craft cocktails, and wine. With one of the best patios in the city, River Roast is a gathering place to connect with friends, old and new. Our Brews & Blues Brunch features Chicago's finest Blues musicians performing live from 12PM-3PM. We'll see you soon for lunch, brunch, dinner or drinks!