About Local Foods
Local Foods is Chicago’s first wholesale distributor and retailer of primarily local foods from the Midwest’s best farmers. We source and deliver the finest farm ingredients to consumers, restaurants, grocers, schools and institutions. Through our one-of-a-kind Bucktown distribution center, event space, retail store and cafe we bring the stories of producers to life. We started Local Foods to make it easy to eat local and farm fresh.
This job offers competitive salary based on experience. We offer a full benefits package; this includes very attractive day time hours with limited evening work.
The Kitchen Manger is responsible for managing our brunch and lunch cafe. This candidate must have strong cooking, leadership, and management skills, Sous Chef experience is preferred, or at least three years of experience as a line cook in a dynamic, customer focused, working environment. The flexibility to work with seasonal/local fresh ingredients. Additional responsibilities will include supervisory tasks including training, discipline, problem solving and creative development.
Essential Duties and Areas of Responsibility
- Assist with daily purchasing of food and supplies; maintain product quality while diligently finding best pricing
Research and development
- Work with Marketing and Business Leadership to develop the menu, keeping in line with Local Foods philosophy
- Work with leadership to develop classes, tastings, catering and in house events
- Able to show financial knowledge when designing a menu or hosting an event or special catering.
Safety and sanitation
- Work with hourly staff to maintain proper sanitation and safety in the kitchen
- Follow HACCP procedures for food safety and help maintain records
- Take proper care of equipment and communicate with leadership when maintenance is required
- Manage cafe staff for daily production
- Work with management to ensure timely and safe food caterings and events
- Enforce adherence to standardized recipes
- A minimum of 3 years as a line cook, sous chef experience preferred
- Must have experience cooking from scratch
- Must be open to feedback and coachable
- Formal culinary training preferred
- Excellent knowledge of food safety
- Strong interpersonal skills
- One weekend day required
Benefits, Mostly day time hours
Food Cost Optimization
Food Safety Knowledge
Menu / Recipe Development
Staffing / scheduling
Other jobs you might be interested in
Local Foods is Chicago’s first wholesale distributor and retailer of strictly local foods from the Midwest’s best farmers. We source and deliver the finest farm foods to consumers, restaurants, grocers, schools and institutions. Through our one-of-a-kind Bucktown processing facility, event space and retail store, we bring the stories of producers to life. We started Local Foods to simplify the way Midwestern farmers’ products are brought to market, and to make the best tasting local foods easy and accessible.