TITLE: General Manager
RESTAURANT: Big Star Wicker Park
REPORTS TO: Managing Partners, Vice President of Operations & Operations Manager
Position Summary- Management that directs, coordinates, and oversees all activities in daily operations. Provide vision and leadership in long-range planning to ensure the continuity of the restaurant. Proven ability to cope with conflict, stress and crisis situations through effective problem-solving and mediation skills. Oversee standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities- The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Handles all staffing responsibilities for Front of House—Assistant Managers, Beer & Wine Coordinator servers, server assistants, bartenders, barbacks, food runners, and hosts. This includes hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, and terminating.
- Oversee all services at Big Star ensuring all are consistent with service, food, beverage and the philosophy of One Off Hospitality that “everyone is welcome.”
- Oversee all purchases of front of house supplies and oversee use to ensure minimum waste, in conjunction with Assistant & Beverage Managers.
- Maintain and oversee payroll procedures including assisting bookkeepers with hourly edits and tip sheet entries.
- Oversee and lead through positive support all FOH managers and supervisors.
- Assists beverage department—Head Bartenders--in working towards financial goals set forth by corporate, coordinating beverage-specific events and conducting weekly/monthly/quarterly tastings training for all FOH staff.
- Supervises staff in terms of guest service, cleaning, and repairs to restaurant and grounds.
- Work closely with the Culinary BOH team to ensure there is no division between FOH and BOH.
- Promotes cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among employees through leading by a positive example.
- Acts as the foundation for continued training and development in all aspects of food, beverage and hospitality.
- Delivers excellent guest service including personally greeting and seating guests, as well as developing creative way to personalize Big Stars guest experience.
- Make food and beverage menu changes as needed and update Toast.
- Manage guest correspondence (mailings, emails, events, etc).
- Keep constant communication with Marketing & PR Manager updating them on all changes in restaurant.
- Always answers a ringing telephone by the third ring and always using verbiage that follows company standards.
- Resolves complaints from guests in a polite, friendly manner always making sure we follow up with them when needed.
- Have strong communication with kitchen and chef to communicate any issues, concerns, or ideas.
- Performs daily inspections and periodic audits to check safety of equipment. Addresses engineering problems involving the cost, installation, and maintenance of such equipment.
- To be present on site to oversee any emergency maintenance.
- Make sure the entire space looks, smells, and feels good (lighting, temperature, bathrooms, cleanliness, and seating arrangements).
- Participates in training about standardized policies (fire, hygiene, health, safety, employee handbook, etc.) and confers weekly with owner management about restaurant operations.
- Oversee Assistant Managers in scheduling of the FOH staff.
- Carry out a combination of shifts—opening, closing and/or swing shifts between brunch and dinner services. This scheduled is determined by business demands and is coordinated with GM and Assistant Managers.
- To carry out a sixth shift during major convention weeks including, but not limited to—Radiology, National Restaurant Show & NEOCONN, as well as in times of management vacations/transitions.
- Administers FOH and BOH payroll and maintains records of sales and cash receipts including related areas of accounting, budgeting, credit policies, and banking methods.
- Helps with duties of other employees (i.e. host, food runner, server, etc.) when necessary because of an unexpected absence or extra volume.
- Responds to guest and community interests to develop marketing and advertising.
- Continue to think of fresh, innovative ways to target new business and fill off peak times.
- Strengthening relationship in restaurant community as well as concierge relationships.
- Continue to think of ways to improve Big Star while maintaining a financial focus.
- Work alongside of Assistant Managers to oversee Big Star’s website to ensure it is up to date, appeals to market, and has fresh prospective.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- To be familiar with the food and beverage items on Big Star’s
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- Knowledge and understanding of all financial aspects in relation to daily operation and long-term planning.
- Full understanding of the key principles of hospitality and service.
- Knowledge of business & management principles involved in leadership techniques and the coordination of people and resources.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects.
- Knowledge of training principles and methods with the ability to measure training results.
- Able to manage ones own time and the time of others to ensure the highest possible level of productivity.
- Able to analyze information and evaluate results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Develop constructive & cooperative working relationships with others and maintaining them over time.
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals and prepare computer reports as required.
- Basset Certification, Manager Food Safety Sanitation license required.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Excellent guest service to treat patrons like family.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that operational managers do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time, multitasking. Operational managers must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with vendors, employees and customers. Operational managers typically work fifty-sixty hours a week. However, because the restaurants serves the public and are open seven days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
Compensation details: paid vacation, employer contribution to medical, voluntary dental/vision/life, dining discount
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Food Safety Knowledge
Staff Management of 75
Staff education / motivation
Staffing / scheduling
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR is a whiskey, tequila, cocktail, and beer-focused venue located in the heart of Wicker Park, Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Julie Warpinski have crafted an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space reminiscent of a California honky tonk. The food, liquor and cocktail programs change continuously to complement the seasons, and always features six beers on tap, and an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by staff members at distilleries in Kentucky.