TITLE: Executive Sous Chef
RESTAURANT: Big Star Wicker Park
REPORTS TO: Managing Partners, Director of Operations, Culinary Director, Chef de Cuisine
Position Summary Back-end management that directs and oversees all BOH activities at Big Star Wicker Park in accordance with standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Handles staffing responsibilities with support from Chef de Cuisine for the following positions; cooks, stages, dishwashers. This includes hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating. Disciplines and/or terminations to take place with support of Chef de Cuisine.
- Support the Big Star Catering Program including offsite, onsite and any DIYs.
- Handles large volume production and fast-paced service without issue.
- Works with BOH Sous Chefs and supervisors to oversee food quality control by constantly tasting and auditing mis en place as well as finished items.
- Assist in developing recipes with Chef de Cuisine and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints.
- Adjusts work schedule in accordance with the schedule posted. Works the hours needed to ensure the success and development of the restaurant, this may mean longer than expected shifts, opening and/or closing shifts
- Works with purchasing manager to oversee daily ordering needs. Helps manage receiving team in accordance to safety and sanitation practices.
- Communicates with purchasing manager for all back of house supplies and oversee use to ensure minimum waste.
- Is knowledgeable about togo and door dash systems. Is able to cover cashier positions as well as expedite the togo line when necessary.
- Participates in other menu planning activities to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Expedite and work the line per the scheduling requirements needed.
- Assist with representing BOH at preshift meetings. Helps communicate specials, dietary concerns, procedures and furthers FOH education when appropriate.
- Helps CDC manage the health, safety and sanitation guidelines of all BOH facilities.
- Assists with BOH facilities maintenance. Performs daily inspections and periodic audits of all equipment.
- Responsible for weekly notes to BOH supervisor staff. Also arranges once a week meeting with BOH Sous Chefs.
- Utilize all tools in place to assist BOH operations (cheftec, Avero, Aloha) and make sure that support team knows how to use in your place/absence. This includes end of night reports to CDC.
- Assists CDC with time clock edits and ensures all is correct by payroll processing time.
- Supervises team in terms of customer service, cleaning, and repairs to restaurant and grounds.
- Promotes cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among employees.
- Resolves complaints from customers in a polite, friendly manner always making sure we follow up with them when needed.
- Have strong communication with BOH supervisors, Sous chefs, and Catering/ FOH managers to communicate any issues, concerns, or ideas.
- Helps with duties of other employees (i.e. sous chef, cooks, and dishwashers, etc.) when necessary because of an unexpected absence or extra volume.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals, prepare food costing, and prepare computer reports as required
- Culinary degree or college degree required with concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition, or related field.
- Previous restaurant experience required.
- Previous management experience required.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that restaurant chefs do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Managers must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with employees and customers. Managers typically work fifty to sixty five hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open seven days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 45 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
Culinary Menu / Recipe Development
Enforcement Of Safety / Sanitation Standards
Food Cost Optimization
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR is a whiskey, tequila, cocktail, and beer-focused venue located in the heart of Wicker Park, Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Julie Warpinski have crafted an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space reminiscent of a California honky tonk. The food, liquor and cocktail programs change continuously to complement the seasons, and always features six beers on tap, and an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by staff members at distilleries in Kentucky.