TITLE: Catering and Events Chef
RESTAURANT: Big Star Brand Catering: Wicker Park and Wrigley
REPORTS TO: Managing Partners, Director of Operations, Culinary Director, Chef de Cuisine
Position Summary Back-end management that directs and oversees all activities in Big Star Brand’s Catering Department in accordance with standardized policies in order to provide efficient, friendly services and profitable operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Has a great passion for catering and events.
- Is focused on systems development related to the catering food program. These are systems related to DIY operations, Offsite events, Onsite events, Food Trucks, and Festivals.
- Works in conjunction with FOH Event Managers and Catering Managers to ensure effective communication and departmental efficiency.
- Is responsible for scheduling of BOH catering managers.
- Manages the entire culinary portion of Catering program. Communicates directly with the catering managers regarding any scheduling or fulfillment needs of orders.
- Adjusts work schedule in accordance with needs of the onsite and offsite programs. Works the hours needed to ensure the success and development of the catering and events program, this may mean longer than expected shifts.
- Oversees catering food production as it relates to onsite and offsite events. Responsible for quality and production schedules.
- Work events as the Big Star Catering Chef, and represents the Big Star BOH accordingly. Works events onsite or offsite as needed per schedules of the manager team and needs of the catering department.
- With the approval of the Culinary Director, CDC, and Managing Partner/Executive Chef, develops recipes and food items specific to the catering and events department menus. This includes purchasing specifications related to the catering menu.
- Works with Purchasing Manager for any Catering specialty food orders. Will keep areas in the cooler organized as it relates to events.
- Participates in menu costing items on the catering and events menu using the Chef Tec program.
- Helps with ordering of back of house supplies related to catering and events, and oversees use to ensure minimum waste.
- Creates all event BEOs and communicates responsibilities and needs between purchasing, catering managers and production kitchen. Creates systems for event load outs for organization and space usage.
- Maintains a weekly meeting with Events Manager to discuss event proposals, BEOs, and events happening that month.
- Any catering systems that impact the operation of the Big Star kitchen will be communicated to the Big Star CDC prior to implementation of those systems.
- Handles all BOH operations and planning for large scale offsite and events.
- Oversees client tasting program. Works with FOH catering managers to create client experience.
- Participates in offsite venue visits when a new venue or complex event as needed.
- Handles end of period inventory systems and works with Purchasing manager to update systems.
- Guides, teaches, motivates staff to follow recipes, encourage healthy communication throughout team, follows guidelines set by management, and always make to-go, prep, main line, catering seem as one team.
- Is aware of client/guest timelines and the importance when related to catering orders or events. Will communicate with Catering and Events managers when timelines are not able to be met..
- Promotes cooperative effort, a team spirit, and good morale among employees.
- Resolves complaints from guests in a polite, friendly manner always making sure we follow up with them when needed. Follow through with Catering managers for protocols at Events or from DIY feedback for proper procedure to handle those complaints.
- Will work to resolve any customer issues with DIY orders that are feasible. This can include delivering orders that may have missing or wrong items.
- Have strong communication with BOH managers, FOH managers, and Catering Managers to communicate any issues, concerns, or ideas.
- Participates in research of ways to grow and better the catering department. Continually works on ways to push capacities and volume of catering business without damaging food integrity or hurting regular business at Big Star or Togo.
- When catering jobs and events are absent, continues to develop catering and events systems and ideas, consults directly with the CDC regarding any help needed in the Big Star kitchen and then may be required to work in other roles.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals, prepare food costing, and prepare computer reports as required
- Culinary degree or college degree preferred with concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition, or related field.
- Previous restaurant experience required.
- Previous catering/event experience required.
- Previous management experience required.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management and organizational skills required.
- Comfortable with computers, word processing, and creating spreadsheets.
- Is a self-starter, with a high degree of personal responsibility.
- Possesses the ability to communicate at a high level.
- Believes in the power of great customer service.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that catering chefs do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Managers must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with employees and customers. Managers typically work fifty five to sixty hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open seven days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 45 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
Advanced Knife Handling
Culinary Menu / Recipe Development
Enforcement Of Safety / Sanitation Standards
Food Cost Optimization
Food Safety Knowledge
General knife handling
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR is a whiskey, tequila, cocktail, and beer-focused venue located in the heart of Wicker Park, Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Julie Warpinski have crafted an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space reminiscent of a California honky tonk. The food, liquor and cocktail programs change continuously to complement the seasons, and always features six beers on tap, and an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by staff members at distilleries in Kentucky.