We are looking for a café cook to join an exciting new café concept in the loop. In addition to experience on a hot line, we want to work with friendly people who have a great attitude, outstanding social/communication skills, personal confidence and enthusiasm toward our business. A combination of BOH & FOH experience is ideal. If that sounds like you, we're very interested in speaking with you.
Founded in New Zealand, Mojo is a coffee company that delivers freshly roasted specialty coffee, beautiful fresh food, and excellent service from 42 locations from the New Zealand to China, Japan and, soon, Chicago.
About the position:
We're looking for people who are available to work a steady and regular work schedule, primarily Monday - Friday, performing kitchen prep, baking fresh baked goods, and making café / quick service type foods, such as sandwiches, quiches, toast, oatmeal, eggs, et cetera during service. If hired, you may be working from behind the counter, visible to the front of house, so presentation, cleanliness and a tidy workflow is crucial. Qualified candidates will be trained on every position in the store, from the cash register, to the floor, to the espresso machine and other equipment. This means, if you are hired, you'll be expected to be able to fill any position during a shift.
You should apply if:
• You have at least a year of experience on a hot line.
• You can expo beautifully plated dishes.
• You can identify when the flavors of a dish are out of balance and correct on the fly.
• You enjoy talking to strangers and potential new friends, and you're good at it.
• You love coffee and would love to learn more about it.
• You are willing and able to abandon old habits and learn the Mojo way of working.
• You care about delivering excellent service and making someone else's day.
• Multitasking comes easily to you.
• You deal well with stressful busy periods, and can ramp up your speed accordingly.
• You care about tidiness, and you are good at maintaining a tidy working environment as you go.
• You're available to work as early as 4:30 am, when requested.
What we're offering:
• A fairly consistent work schedule, with both part time and full time hours available.
• A friendly, team-focused, working environment.
• A training program that covers from the cash register to advanced coffee knowledge.
• Opportunities for even inexperienced but otherwise qualified individuals.
• Starting rate of $11 + tips
• Medical insurance coverage.
Essential Job Functions:
• Stand/walk for consecutive periods of time throughout the shift providing customer service; taking, preparing and serving orders; and performing cleaning activities.
• Ability to operate cash registers and credit card machines; basic math skills are necessary to make change and coordinate payments with customers.
• Walk and quickly move around the space behind counter (approximately 3 feet), while co-workers are present and addressing alternate customer needs.
• Bend, stoop, sweep, mop and carry frequently to fill and serve orders.
• All activities as designated or necessary to ensure tidy work areas; manual cleaning activities behind counter, in restrooms, guest and work areas.
• Ability to lift, maneuver and ensure adequate stock of large bags of coffee beans, milk crates (4 half gallon containers per crate); large orders, etc. that may involve lifting up to 40 pounds depending on the circumstances presented.
• Good information retention skills to ensure prompt recollection of preparation and other work necessary to take and fill orders.
• Tolerate potential allergens, such as nut products, egg, dairy, gluten, soy, seafood and shellfish.
• Work in noisy, fast paced environment with distracting conditions.
• Effectively communicate with customers to take orders and field concerns; ability to communicate effectively with peers about filling customer orders and offering excellent customer service.
• Food Handlers Certificate.
• BASSET may be required in future.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate against any candidate or employee on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, sexual preference, gender identity, religion, disability, pregnancy status or related medical condition, or other legally protected category. We also provided reasonable accommodations to our candidates and employees who are disabled or pregnant (including pregnancy related medical conditions) where necessary for the candidate to perform the essential job functions of the available position. If you are in need of a reasonable accommodation to meaningfully participate in our application and hiring process, please contact us.
We operate an extensive training program in specialty coffee for all our staff, and offer plenty of growth potential for hardworking team-members, as we're expanding rapidly.
Please contact us with your resume attached.
Food Safety Knowledge
Ordering / Purchasing