Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award-winning owner and operator of some of the world's most prestigious hotels and resorts. Mandarin Oriental now operates, or has under development, over 11,000 rooms in 24 countries with 21 hotels in Asia, nine in The Americas and 16 in Europe, Middle East and North Africa.
Our aim is to be widely recognized as the best luxury hotel group in the world, providing exceptional customer satisfaction in each of our hotels. The growth strategy of our Group is to successfully operate 11,000 rooms in major business centers and key leisure destinations around the world, whilst continuing to expand our presence globally. Our current portfolio reaches across four continents, and we remain firmly on track with our development plans.
The Group regularly receives international recognition and awards for our legendary service hospitality
Mandarin Oriental Hotel New York will be the Flagship Property operated by the Mandarin Oriental Hotel Management USA
Scope of Position
Leader tasked with daily management of Front of House (FOH) staff. Ensures all service standards are met and information properly communicated from management to staff and from staff to guests. Oversees the setup and breakdown of the dining room and regulates compliance with brand standards. Delegates tasks to staff in order to improve the guest experience. Communicate effectively with upper management while continuously attending to the staff’s morale, performance, and precise execution of service.
- Display expert level familiarity with the beverages, food, service pieces and signature presentations of The Aviary and The Office.
- Maintain complete knowledge of all menus, all ingredients and techniques including but not exclusive to:
- Curent a la carte cocktails.
- Curent prix fixe menu cocktails.
- Current beers
- Current wines by the glass.
- Current a la carte food items.
- Current prix fixe menu food items.
- All spirits on current menu.
- Lead, alongside the Director of The Aviary & The Office, a pre-service meeting to properly communicate to the service staff the special reservations, dietary restrictions, changes to food and beverage menu items, and expectations of the day’s service.
- Develop and maintain department control and cash handling procedures.
- Develop and oversee service staff schedules.
- Work with Human Resources to assist on the recruiting, training, professional development and discipline of FOH staff.
- Assist Director of The Aviary & The Office in preparation of all required reports.
- Assist in menu planning and pricing as directed by the Director of The Aviary & The Office.
- Plan and administer reviews and evaluate the work of FOH staff under the guidance of the Director of The Aviary & The Office
- Assist the Director of The Aviary & The Office with the recruiting, training, professional development and discipline of FOH staff.
- Ensure proper inventory for functions, including opening and closing inventories, accurate sales summaries and cash deposits are prepared.
- Ensure the maintenance and compliance of alcohol safety regulations.
- Lead ordering of dining room or serviceware replacement items.
- Ensure that The Aviary & The Office service team meets and exceeds guest expectations.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with groups to ensure guest satisfaction and repeat business.
- Ensure that staff maintains a professional attitude and proper appearance and uniform standards.
- Supervise and manage set up and break down of dining room before and after service.
- Instruct staff on correct maintenance and use of equipment.
- Teach and maintain all Aviary policies and service standards.
- Maintain and set expert level example of guest relations.
- Greet and acknowledge all guests.
- Anticipate guest needs and respond promptly.
- Accommodate all requests for information courteously.
- Communicate Person of Note (PON) arrivals and special requests to fellow management.
- Respond to guest complaints with the utmost professionalism and represent the brand at all times. Balance the guest’s best interests with the company’s.
- Monitor and ensure that all aspects of service conform to departmental standards.
- Ensures that The Aviary brand and MONYC standards are met at all times.
- Accountable for upholding MOQA, FORBES, LQA, LQE standards at all times
- Fully comply with all FLHSS&E and Safe & Sound Procedures standards
- Deliver financial results in compliance to financial goals for the operations
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of The Aviary & The Office in relation to guest experience, staff experience, and The Aviary’s business well-being.
- Maintain department records for all employees to be in accordance with Human Resources standard and regulations.
- Attend to the time and attendance punches of all FOH employees.
- Administer verbal and written testing to FOH staff of menu items as the Director of The Aviary & The Office requires.
- Step in for the Director of The Aviary & The Office and applicable duties as necessary.
Requirement on Core Competencies
The incumbent will require the following personal attributes:
1. Delighting our Clients
- Awareness and sensitivity to the concept of luxury and quality.
- Responsive and genuine with customers.
- Sustains performance.
- Confident with customers.
2.Working with Colleagues
- Communicates a compelling vision.
- Inspires co-operation and commitment.
- Adapts work style and ethics appropriately.
- Actively listens and builds on other ideas.
- Effectively understands and uses resources.
- Is culturally sensitive.
- Good written and verbal skills.
- Maintain excellence in leadership abilities
3. Promoting a Climate of Enthusiasm
- Has energy and drive.
- A sense of urgency.
- Motivating individual.
- Communicates clearly.
- Open to feedback and learning.
- Possess potential to grow.
4. Being the Best
- Achievement orientated.
- Makes things happen.
- Has presence.
- Has positive impact and influence.
- Generates, innovative options.
- Adapts plans to suit change.
- Seeks continuous improvement opportunities.
5. Delivering Shareholder Value
- Takes a helicopter view and keeps in focus.
- Understands and knows the business market.
- Clearly understands effective operating of a hotel.
- Develops and implements strategy.
- Adapts strategies to changes.
- Aligns plans to strategies.
- Continuously seeks new opportunities.
6. Playing by the Rules
- Operates ethically.
- High level of personal integrity.
7. Acting with Responsibility
- Can identify core issues and problems.
- Emotionally stable and mature.
- Accepts feedback.
- Coaches others.
- Manages responsibilities.
- Ability to communicate in proper English both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to provide legible written communication in English.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Ability to perform basic computer functions including but not limited to email and word processing.
- Ability to navigate point of sales systems with ease.
- Ability to effectively use time and attendance software.
- Five (5) or more years’ experience in restaurant service position with three (3) or more of these years having been in a supervisory role.
- Minimum Twenty-one (21) years of age to serve alcoholic beverages.
- Training others in policies and procedures related to the FOH department.
- Providing exemplary guest care and hospitality.
- Ability to give attention to detail and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Organizing, maintaining and researching office files.
- Compiling and summarizing information and preparing activity reports.
- Organizing own work, setting priorities and meeting critical deadlines.
- Developing goals, objectives, policies, procedures and work standards for the FOH department, including but not limited to those of service, budget, sales, and training.
- Leading by example and demonstrating courteous and cooperative behavior when interacting with public and staff.
- Certification of previous training in liquor, wine, and/or food service.
- Any previous culinary or bartending training.
- Fluency in a foreign language.
- Certification in alcoholic awareness program.
- Knowledge of local activities and attractions appropriate for restaurant clientele.
- Prior formalized guest relations training.
- Prior formalized restaurant server training and experience.
- Ability to use restaurant POS and other computer systems.
- TIPS Certified
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hospitality, Business, or related subject matter, or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of national and international restaurants/bars of similar award caliber, theme, or price point.
Mandarin Oriental, New York is proud to offer competitive compensation and benefit plans
Other jobs you might be interested in
Bar / Lounge, Upscale Casual
The Alinea Group is proud to partner with The Mandarin Oriental New York City. Chef Grant Achatz and Beverage Director, Micah Melton, are building a team to bring The Aviary and Office starting this summer.
The Aviary NYC will deliver stunning food offerings, an extraordinary list of rare spirits, classic cocktails, and interactive beverage presentations. The right candidate for this team is excited about elevated food and service, proud of sourcing the best products, and dedicated to hospitality as their career.