Inspired by our commitment to excellence, the service team at our Company* creates unforgettable memories for our guests. The successful Bar Supervisor manages the day-to-day activities of the front-of-the-house including cruise execution, assisting with details and recruitment in conjunction with the restaurant manager and senior restaurant manager to ensure consistently high levels of quality, service and customer satisfaction while maintaining a high level of profitability. The bar supervisor will act as Restaurant Supervisor as needed.
- Assists in managing the front-of-the-house staff, including recruitment, training, coaching/discipline, and retention of assigned vessel
- Provides assistance to restaurant managers changing shifts and ensures adherence to procedures detailed in the Product Management Guide. This includes thorough pre-cruise preparation, adherence to cruise scripts, supervision of front-line staff, proper execution of food & beverage service and entertainment
- Assists in gathering pertinent cruise event details from the other departments to ensure special guest requests are fulfilled thereby ensuring complete guest satisfaction
- Participates in conducting pre-cruise meetings and communicates to front-line staff all necessary information regarding the cruise (seating charts, special bar packages, boarding procedures, etc.)
- Ensures that staff and guests adhere to all safety standards and procedures
- Ensures that staff is trained and consistently follows and adheres to proper alcohol service guidelines thereby ensuring the safety of each guest
- Ensures that all staff consistently follows and adheres to all health department sanitation codes and requirements thereby maintaining the Company’s strict standards of sanitation
- Resolves guest service issues by utilizing strong customer service skills and exercising diplomacy in keeping with company objective of customer retention
- Observes and recommends line-staff that require further training and development to ensure proper and effective service
- Recommends approved programs that improve the level of service and product quality
- Assists in recruiting all front-line staff when necessary to fill vacant positions
- Partake in delivering training to all new front-line staff
- Assists schedules front-line staff according to staffing matrix
- Adheres to Company’s performance management guidelines for all discipline and termination situations
- Develops positive working relationships with city department heads and peers
- Develops strong teamwork within the staff
- Helps develop and execute employee incentive programs. Leads corporate and local sales contests, reports progress to shipmates and posts weekly updates
- Facilitates Day 4 Bar training, refresher training for shipmates, and extra training as facilitated by Training supervisor
- Ensures compliance to Ecosure checklist to maintain 95% on Ecosure audits
- Ensures compliance to bar shop standards to keep the highest level of service and quality
- Assists lead bartenders with daily set up and reset duties
- Adheres to established cash control procedures and ensures standards are maintained
- Monitors costs and maintains cost control for assigned areas of responsibility, i.e. bar costs, concessions, etc
- Plans, negotiates and executes collateral duties as assigned by Senior Restaurant Manger: bar, laundry/linen, gift shop, uniforms, galley, entertainment, and SRT Program and Training; scheduling for servers, server assistants, bartenders and cruise directors
- Ensures that all states and local health and alcohol control requirements are met on-board and that all employees are familiar with these requirements
- Attends all scheduled meetings
- Operates all restaurant systems (PC, restaurant cost analysis software, cash registers)
- Weekly Inventory regulation and input into MenuLink
- Input of weekly invoices into MenuLink
- Works with Restaurant Manager to make sure that proper inventory levels are available and orders product from approved vendors when needed
- Attends bi-weekly OSS calls and actively participates and promotes OSS focuses as an OSS STAR
The successful bar supervisor will personally contribute to the unforgettable guest experience, be favorably viewed by supervisors and peers, and be swift and efficient in the execution of their assigned duties. Performance will be measured by quality, service, departmental tests, management evaluation, and feedback from peers on the city’s team.
Job Specifications / qualifications:
- High school degree or equivalency required
- Associates Degree with minimum of 2 years customer service experience; no supervisory experience necessary
- Responsible alcohol service requirements. TIPS Certification required
- Health department sanitation codes & requirements—ServSafe Certification required
- Mathematical skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division) necessary to interpret reports and budgets
- Successfully manage front-line restaurant staff
- Communicate effectively in oral and written form
- Recruit front-line restaurant staff
- Train, develop and motivate staff
- Analyze and solve problems
- Ability to read, write, and speak English to comprehend and communicate job functions
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities/tasks
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by job responsibility
- Provide advice/opinion and exercise discretion concerning confidential and sensitive matters
- Listen effectively, assesses the situation, determine relevant issues, identify solutions and gain consensus
- Set aside emotional factors and/or validate them in order to discover key/relevant issues
- Work with Microsoft Office applications (especially Word & Excel)
*For purposes of this job description only, references to the ‘Company’ are to the following subsidiaries of Entertainment Cruises, Inc.: Premier Yachts, Inc., Mystic Blue Cruises, Inc., Seadog Ventures, Inc., Spirit Cruises, LLC., and Potomac Riverboat Company, LLC. You are employed by one of these subsidiaries, not by Entertainment Cruises Inc.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Cruise Line, Entertainment Venue, Event, Event Catering, Special Events Company
Part of Entertainment Cruises
Entertainment Cruises is the nation’s largest dining and sightseeing cruise company with a fleet of 36 ships in cities that include: Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, National Harbor, MD, Norfolk, VA, Philadelphia, New York, Washington, D.C. and Weehawken, NJ.
From the fresh and fun Spirit to the modern and sleek Odyssey and Bateaux, to our Elite Private Yachts and exciting Seadog speedboat rides, Entertainment Cruises offers a wide range of guest experiences. Once onboard, each guest will see the city from a whole new perspective—from the water.
Entertainment Cruises operates more than ten thousand cruises and serves more than 1.9 million guests each year. We are inspired by our commitment to excellence and dedicated to creating unforgettable memories. That’s why every shipmate is focused on delivering exceptional experiences to our guests through Our Service System.
Our maiden voyage was aboard the Spirit of Norfolk in 1978, and cruised along the historic Elizabeth River.
Kenneth Svendsen was named CEO of Entertainment Cruises in January, 2016. Kenneth brings a rich career in hospitality and a relentless focus on the guest experience, further enriching Our Service System to deliver on our commitment to creating unforgettable memories for our guests. For more on our history, please check out our timeline.
Entertainment Cruises is a member of Pritzker Group which owns and operates market leading companies in the manufactured products, services and healthcare sectors. The firm’s history as an entrepreneurial family-owned enterprise and its permanent, proprietary capital base allow Entertainment Cruises the flexibility to invest in serving its customers' needs over the long term. For more information, visit www.pritzkergroup.com.