Job title Line Cook Reports to Chef
Line Cooks work directly with the Chef to successfully prepare and serve Cafe's menu, provide great internal and external customer service and participate in the financial success of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully execute menu preparation and service
- Take ownership of their training as a cook by working closely with the Chefs
- Cook in an open kitchen and maintain a fully presentable appearance and work space
- Contribute to new product and specials development
- Ensure proper food safety and sanitation procedures throughout kitchen
- Engage in a friendly and informative manner with Local Foods customers in Cafe and Public Market
- Work to develop a group of regular diners at Cafe who seek out our professional insight on food
- Be a point of information for all customers on menu items, ingredients and techniques
Interpersonal and Department Relationships
- Commit to the success of all coworkers in all departments and how Cafe can improve their day
- Be a point of information for all other staff on menu items, ingredients and techniques
Financials and Reporting
- Understand Stock’s Department Operating Report (DOR)
- Develop ideas to improve Cafe’s financial situation
- 2 year Culinary Program or equivalent work experience
- Serve Safe or comparable food safety and sanitation certification
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to organize and self-motivate
- Flexibility to work in a new and evolving work environment
- Commitment to success of all parts of the Local Foods business
This job requires work on evenings and weekends.
Ability to stand and work on one’s feet for minimum 5 hours
Ability to lift 50 lbs
2 weeks notice required when leaving the position; 30 days preferable
Please send resume to Michelle at [email protected]
benefits, no late nights, 4 to 5 days a week.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Local Foods is Chicago’s first wholesale distributor and retailer of strictly local foods from the Midwest’s best farmers. We source and deliver the finest farm foods to consumers, restaurants, grocers, schools and institutions. Through our one-of-a-kind Bucktown processing facility, event space and retail store, we bring the stories of producers to life. We started Local Foods to simplify the way Midwestern farmers’ products are brought to market, and to make the best tasting local foods easy and accessible.