The primary role of a host is to effectively support the entire restaurant team. Responsibilities include monitoring the open dining sections of the restaurant and cafe for empty and cleaned tables, estimating wait times for guests, monitoring the guest waiting list, and ensuring that the needs of the guests are met while they are waiting. The host is often responsible for answering the telephone and booking reservations. These job duties require style and service attributes that are key to creating a positive guest experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Greet guests immediately upon arrival in a friendly and professional manner
• Seat guests at the appropriate tables per the organized seating chart
• Organize and prepare reservations
• Ensure guests are seated in an order that does not overload a particular server
• Provide guests with menus and first round of drinks if necessary
• Maintain updated knowledge of all food and beverage menus, specials and ingredients in each
• Maintain Open Table Reservations, including making and confirming reservations according to availability, document/communicate all large party requests and complete daily reservation confirmation calls
• Ensure hostess stand is always occupied and if it is necessary to step away, a manager must be informed prior
• Develop and maintain positive communication and teamwork with all co-workers and supervisors
• Deliver excellent customer service in an efficient manner
• Maintain updated knowledge of hotel and general local area information
• Act in a professional manner with the awareness that all actions and communications are within guest view
• Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills
• Ability to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
• Implements and maintains all policies and procedures.
• Exercises sounds and accurate judgment with regards to decision making in a timely matter.
• Prioritizes and plans work effectively and efficiently.
• Observes and implements all safety and security procedures.
• Ability to meet deadlines with frequent change delays and unexpected events.
Education and Work Experience
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED);
• Previous hospitality industry experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
• Illinois Food Handler’s Card or ServSafe Certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. The employee may frequently be required to stoop, kneel, and crouch for duration of shift (eight hours or longer). The employee will need to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move and/or push up to 50 pounds without assistance.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Reasoning Ability and Computer Skills
Ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at Ambassador Chicago are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
Competitive Wages, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & 401k
Basic Floor Service
Experience in a Fine Dining Establishment
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Food Safety Knowledge
OpenTable or other
Other jobs you might be interested in
Uniquely individual, Ambassador Chicago is nestled among graceful mansions in a quiet, gilded neighborhood tucked into the center of the Windy City offering incredible views of Lake Michigan with easy access to Chicago's main shopping boulevard, Michigan Avenue.
With 285 spacious guestrooms, a 24-hour fitness center, two restaurants, thoughtful programming and amenities curated by local artisans and chefs, Ambassador Chicago maintains its distinct and legendary character while offering guests an authentic Chicago experience.