The primary role of a Bartender is to effectively serve food and beverage selections to our guests. Their job duties require style and service attributes that are key to creating a positive guest experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Deliver excellent customer service in an efficient manner.
• Accurately record and enter all food and beverage items into MICROS/POS System.
• Knowledge of all food and beverage menus, brand selections, prices and garnishes.
• Communicate with the kitchen regarding menu questions, the length of wait, daily specials, and product availability. Communicate additional meal requirements, allergies, dietary needs, and special requests to the kitchen.
• Knowledge of hotel and general local area information.
• Maximize sales by using menu knowledge and suggestive selling techniques.
• Conduct self in a professional manner with the awareness that all actions and communications are within guest view.
• Maintain cleanliness of bar and service areas and ensure work area is orderly and properly stocked.
• Complete assigned duties within each shift, including daily cash handling close out procedures.
• Properly manage a cash bank in accordance with hotel policies and procedures.
• Responsible for collecting accurate payment from the guest and depositing the exact amount of sales. Ensure hotel guests room charges are properly validated and charged appropriately.
• Check guest identification to ensure that they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages.
• Ensure a reasonable effort is made in preventing a guest from being intoxicated.
• Maintain appearance and uniform standards.
• Develop and maintain positive communication and teamwork with all co-workers and supervisors.
• Handle all guest service issues in an immediate and professional manner.
• Follow all policies and procedures put forth by the PUBLIC Chicago Hotel.
• Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
Competencies: To ensure successful performance, an individual should demonstrate the following.
Customer Service: Welcome and acknowledge each and every guest with a smile, eye contact, and a friendly verbal greeting, using the guest's name when possible. Engage guests in conversation regarding their stay, property services, and area attractions/offerings. Manages difficult or emotional customer situations. Responds promptly to customer needs. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Meets commitments.
Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Works well in group problem solving situations and uses reason when dealing with emotional topics.
Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting. Keeps emotions under control. Remains open to ideas and tries new things.
Teamwork: Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to team views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests. Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives. Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
Ethics: Treats fellow employees with respect. Keeps commitments. Inspires the trust of others. Works with integrity and ethically. Upholds organizational values.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows all policies and procedures. .
Productivity: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Monitors own work to ensure quality. Meets productivity standards. Completes work in timely manner. Strives to increase productivity. Works quickly, but maintains attention to detail.
Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the work environment. Manages competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation. Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Education and Work Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or three to six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
State License to tend bar and serve alcoholic beverages
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. The employee may frequently be required to stoop, kneel, and crouch for duration of shift (eight hours or longer). The employee will need to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move and/or push up to 50 pounds without assistance.
Must be detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to multitask. Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, holiday and nights.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Reasoning Ability and Computer Skills
Ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at PUBLIC Chicago are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
Competitive Wages, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & 401k
Ability To Lift 40+ Lbs
Classic Food / Wine Service
Experience in a Fine Dining Establishment
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Other jobs you might be interested in
Uniquely individual, Ambassador Chicago is nestled among graceful mansions in a quiet, gilded neighborhood tucked into the center of the Windy City offering incredible views of Lake Michigan with easy access to Chicago's main shopping boulevard, Michigan Avenue.
With 285 spacious guestrooms, a 24-hour fitness center, two restaurants, thoughtful programming and amenities curated by local artisans and chefs, Ambassador Chicago maintains its distinct and legendary character while offering guests an authentic Chicago experience.