Beyond Green Sustainable Food Partners is hiring an energetic and experienced independent contractor, Chef Trainer to provide scratch cooking instruction and on-the-job food service training for school cafeteria staff for the Farm to School initiative. The ideal candidate will have a positive and patient attitude and be able to handle multiple situations at one time, have a deep understanding of cost controls, is adept at problem resolution, as well as talent issues. This candidate will be held accountable and able to work independently and as a team. Outstanding training and facilitation skills on scratch-cooking, safety, sanitation, and compliance is preferred. This role will facilitate and manage activities of the training program for cafeteria employees by creating and executing relevant cooking curriculum and training, hands-on culinary programs and demonstrations. Responsibilities include cooking instruction, on-the-job training, evaluating current staff and resources, administering assessments and tracking progress in addition to communicating with the Beyond Green Team to ensure cafeteria staff are meeting competency goals.
These efforts will significantly enhance the Department of Education employee skills and knowledge of scratch cooking, local procurement, zero waste, compliance, and nutrition with the ultimate goal of transfer of knowledge.
Duties will include:
- Leads and coordinates meetings/presentations for staff training
- Interacts and manages effectively across multiple cross-functional teams
- Proactively interacts internally with lead consultant, data manager, education coordinator, dietician, and project manager as well as individual school cafeteria staff.
- Supports location wide training initiatives, and coaching and supporting managers on delivery and execution.
- Coordinates and facilitates training and development programs for all school cafeteria team members.
- Analyzes and identifies skill gaps and performance improvement opportunities—for each team, department and on an individual basis
- Develops training strategies and tactics in accordance with the initiative
- In addition to administrative and training responsibilities, must be willing to cook and support kitchens as business requires.
- Develops and maintains a positive working relationships with department heads and peers
- Communicates effectively by maintaining a respectful and trusting environment
- Coordinates taste tests for new menu items with student population
- Possesses a demonstrated teaching style reflecting compassion, wisdom, and integrity.
- Maintains an effective learning environment to keep instruction on track in the kitchen.
- Mentors other employees and authentically listens
- Summarizes situations in an understandable and simplified manner and communicates this to all levels of the organization
- Possesses a high degree of professionalism and attention to detail
- Has a passion for food
- Is a team member willing to pitch in where needed, including duties such as washing dishes
Required Skills and Experience
- Applicant must have at least five years of recent kitchen experience in a fast paced environment
- Culinary education or equivalent formal training and 1 year of management experience are required. Associate’s Degree in Culinary OR a Bachelor’s Degree + Formal Culinary training
- Position requires a vehicle and good driving record as travel between locations will be required
- Restaurant / Food Service Industry experience; Institutional cooking experience in hospitality industry a plus
- High school degree or equivalent
- Experience supervising a culinary team
- Possesses conflict resolution skills
- Receptive to coaching from lead consultant and/or project manager and has an openness to learning
- At least basic food science knowledge as well as National School Lunch Program and USDA guidelines.
- Strong computer skills to include experience with MS Office, Recipe & Nutrition Management Systems
This position will be subject to a background check. This position is located on the Big Island (Hawaii) and does not pay for relocation.
Job Type: Contract
- High school or equivalent
- Chef: 1 year
Required license or certification:
- Valid driver's license