The Runner will be an effective support for table side food service. They will assist the culinary team in coordinating and maintaining food service areas in the kitchen, and they will assist servers and bartenders in delivering dishes and any additional items guests may require during their experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Deliver all food items to the appropriate and respective guests ensuring that all accoutrements for each dish are delivered with it per the exacting standards of the chef.
● Assist with other aspects of table service including making and delivering beverages or bussing and resetting tables.
● Remain knowledgeable of all food and beverage menus, specials and ingredients, and provide updated knowledge of hotel and general local area information.
● Maintain proper levels of all tools and equipment: utensils, plates, glassware, or any other necessary items.
● Efficiently complete opening, running, and closing side duties per shift according to the standard of the chef.
● Ensure the cleanliness of work areas and maintain a well-organized work environment.
● Handle all guest service needs in an immediate and professional manner.
● Develop and maintain positive communication and teamwork with all co-workers and supervisors.
● Follow all policies and procedures put forth by PUBLIC Chicago Hotel.
● Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
● Runners are required to possess and maintain a strong level of food knowledge, fine-dining service standards, and the ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment.
● Skills in fully describing dishes with accuracy based on the standards of the chef are a must.
Education and Work Experience
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
• Applicant must have at least one year of experience in a similar restaurant with a fine-dining service record as a Runner/Expeditor or Chef’s Assistant.
• Previous hospitality industry experience preferred.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations
Food Handler’s Card or ServSafe Certification
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. The employee may frequently be required to stoop, kneel, and crouch for duration of shift (eight hours or longer). The employee will need to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move and/or push up to 50 pounds without assistance.
Must be detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to multitask. Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, holiday and nights.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Reasoning Ability and Computer Skills
Ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at PUBLIC Chicago are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
Competitive Wages, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life & 401k
Food Handlers Certificate
Ability To Lift 40+ Lbs
Classic Food / Wine Service
Experience in a Fine Dining Establishment
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Food Preparation Knowledge
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Restaurants by Jean-Georges
PUBLIC is an entirely new class of hotel. Its fundamental attributes are innovative, sophisticated, authentic style; spot-on, personalized, empathetic "essential" service; lasting comfort with complete functionality, all at an affordable price and offering tremendous value. For the first time, this type of hotel experience will be available for everyone and anyone who wants it.
The Pump Room restaurant in PUBLIC Chicago offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The new food concept was created by world-renowned chef and 2011 James Beard award winner Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Original Pump Room menu classics were reinvented and recreated by Jean-Georges providing his special touch and amazing style. He will support local purveyors, regional flavors and offer a “farm to table” experience. At night, the restaurant's bar transforms into a supper club recapturing the glamour of the 30's and 40's with a modern twist. Offerings include late night tapas style small plates as well as local, domestic and international draught and bottled beer; exotic, specialty cocktails by our own mixologist, and great music. The restaurant is open for Breakfast, Dinner, After Work/Happy Hour and weekend Brunch. Lunch from PUBLIC Market is served in The Library.