The individual in this position will train to be the right hand of the Executive Chef, assisting with managing inventory, supervising the kitchen team, as well as creating and preparing innovative recipes and menus for client events.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create and prepare innovative recipes and menus for client events, staying on top of the latest food and beverage trends.
- Monitor adequate inventory levels, order products as needed, and maintain an organized kitchen.
- Comply with and enforce all food, sanitation, and safety regulations.
- Manage small events independently, coordinating and leading the kitchen team to provide exceptional service, produce high-quality dishes, and create stunning presentations.
- Lead the kitchen team with a sense of urgency and attention to detail to ensure timely and accurate kitchen operations.
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with all co-workers and clients.
- Conduct personable table-side visits, greeting and mingling with guests, when appropriate.
- Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and effectively manage any problematic situations quickly and professionally.
- Pack, transport, and deliver kitchen equipment to the event.
- Foster open lines of communication, coordinate, and supervise all kitchen team members during events to provide a seamless experience for the client.
- Partner with the designated Event Producer to ensure front of house and back of house operations are flowing smoothly.
- Attention to Detail - The ability to be thorough and accurate when reading, interpreting and performing tasks.
- Client Relations - To nurture, protect and enhance the relationship between the company and its clients or customers.
- Communication - Effectively listens and shares knowledge and information with others. Adapts communication style to audience and fosters effective communication with others.
- Creativity and Innovation - Questions conventional approaches; shares insights and ideas on how to do things differently; designs and implements new methods of conducting business.
- Decision Making - Ability to make thoughtful, well-informed and timely decisions, even with limited information. Considers the overall impact of their decisions on the company and clients.
- Organization and Time Management - Ability to use time, resources and skills effectively in order to achieve a goal.
- Sense of Urgency - Performing tasks with speed and a feeling of importance.
- Teamwork - Works well with others; plays an important role on the team without needing to take the lead; values ideas and input of others.
- Personalized Service means putting our clients’ interests first and working to make their event distinct to their vision.
- Reliable Solutions means building trust amongst our audience by consistently delivering a seamless experience and cuisine that is both beautiful and delicious.
- Creative Expression means that we are always working to come up with original, conversation-starting ideas for our clients.
- Fresh Approach means working to bring a youthful, innovative spin to a traditional industry.
- Simply Delicious Food means never sacrificing flavor and always striving to create food that satisfies and delights.
This position has supervisory responsibilities over kitchen team members.
Job duties for this position will be performed in both an office and at various event venue environments, including personal homes. Events may occasionally take place in homes with pets or at outdoor venues.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by any team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to sit for long periods of time while working on the computer and using the telephone. Hearing, seeing, and speaking are all required in this position. The team member will also be required to stand and walk for extended periods of time (up to 12 hours) during events. Climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, reaching, grasping, pulling, and regularly lifting up to 50 pounds are required.
Expected Work Hours
This is a full-time position, working 50-60 hours per week on average. Must have weekend availability and be reliable. All time-off requests should be submitted two (2) weeks prior to the date(s) needed off. Schedules will be created and provided in advance to all team members.
This is a six (6) month sous chef trainee position with the potential to become a full-time sous chef with Feast & Imbibe, upon successful completion of the program.
Local travel in the Chicagoland area required in order to attend Feast & Imbibe Catering Group events and networking events.
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum formal education of high school diploma or GED
- Five (5) years of restaurant experience
- One (1) year of management/leadership experience
- Experience expediting in the restaurant industry
- Food handler’s permit
- Intermediate level knife skills
- Reliable transportation in the Chicagoland area
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment, and procedures
- Familiar with industry best practices
- Ability to quickly and calmly handle emergency situations in the kitchen
- Intermediate level skills using Apple Computers (especially Pages and Numbers Apps)
Preferred Education and Experience
- Certification or degree from a technical or culinary arts institution, highly preferred
- Event coordination and execution experience
- Project management experience
- Experience using restaurant management software
- Valid Driver’s License
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Feast & Imbibe Catering Group provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Feast & Imbibe Catering Group complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.