The primary role of the Line Cook is to ensure proper execution of all hot and cold foods.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Set up station according to Hotel and restaurant standards and guidelines and follow recipe book
• Adjust thermostat controls to regulate temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, roasters, and steam kettles
• Measure and mix ingredients according to recipe to prepare soups, salads, gravies, sauces
• Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods
• Observe and test foods being cooked by tasting and smelling to determine that it is cooked to standard
• Carve meats, portion food on serving plates, add gravies and sauces, and garnish servings to fill orders
• Wash, peel, cut, and shred vegetables and fruits to prepare them for use
• Follow established health and safety standards
• Other duties as assigned.
Strong knowledge of professional cooking, knife handling skills, and use of kitchen equipment/tools.
Must be detail oriented, possess strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to multitask.
Ability to work a flexible schedule including weekdays, weekends, holiday and nights.
Ability to read, write, and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
Ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
Education and Work Experience
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
• 1+ year(s) of cooking experience in specified area or other related operation required.
Certificates, Licenses and Registrations - Must have a current IL Food Handler’s Card prior to beginning work
Physical Demands - While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time. The employee may frequently be required to stoop, kneel, and crouch for duration of shift (eight hours or longer). The employee must frequently lift and/or move and/or push up to 50 pounds without assistance.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees at PUBLIC Chicago are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, pregnancy, disability, sexual orientation, gender expression, veteran status, age, FMLA status, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state or local statutes.
Competitive Wages, Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, & 401k
Advanced Knife Handling
Food / Beverage Pairing
Food Handlers Certificate
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Restaurants by Jean-Georges
PUBLIC is an entirely new class of hotel. Its fundamental attributes are innovative, sophisticated, authentic style; spot-on, personalized, empathetic "essential" service; lasting comfort with complete functionality, all at an affordable price and offering tremendous value. For the first time, this type of hotel experience will be available for everyone and anyone who wants it.
The Pump Room restaurant in PUBLIC Chicago offers reasonably priced, delicious favorites in a relaxed, comfortable, and exciting environment. The new food concept was created by world-renowned chef and 2011 James Beard award winner Jean-Georges Vongerichten. Original Pump Room menu classics were reinvented and recreated by Jean-Georges providing his special touch and amazing style. He will support local purveyors, regional flavors and offer a “farm to table” experience. At night, the restaurant's bar transforms into a supper club recapturing the glamour of the 30's and 40's with a modern twist. Offerings include late night tapas style small plates as well as local, domestic and international draught and bottled beer; exotic, specialty cocktails by our own mixologist, and great music. The restaurant is open for Breakfast, Dinner, After Work/Happy Hour and weekend Brunch. Lunch from PUBLIC Market is served in The Library.