Required Years of Experience
From globally acclaimed chef Ignacio Mattos, Altro Paradiso is an Italian restaurant in the heart of SoHo and an essential New York City dining destination. The restaurant’s menu draws inspiration from several Italian regions, celebrating timeless craftsmanship throughout, while the room’s high ceilings and glimmering brass bar contribute to a lively nightly atmosphere. Since opening in 2016, Altro has garnered many devoted regulars, ranging from neighborhood residents to travelers who treat the restaurant like a second home whenever they’re in town.
The Sous Chef will assist the Chef de Cuisine with the running and management of the kitchen. You will be comfortable working under pressure, executing a range of daily tasks; ensuring a kitchen that produces exemplary food whilst simultaneously fostering a healthy, happy work environment. You will be able to step into the CDC role on a regular basis, therefore your ability to lead and manage every aspect of the kitchen is imperative.
- Acts as key support to CDC in the running and management of the kitchen.
- Assists the CDC in operational running of the kitchen, e.g. scheduling, meetings, reviews, feedback.
- Has depth of knowledge and passion for the food being produced in the kitchen.
- Leads and motivates a high-performing team.
- Step into a leadership role in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine.
- Oversee kitchen operations in accordance with company standards.
- Constantly be a mentor for all kitchen employees, assisting in their training.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in managing the line and all kitchen employees.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with scheduling and labor controls.
- Assists the Chef de Cuisine with staff communication, eg meetings, feedback, scheduling.
- Train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement, and plating of dishes.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with labor controls and scheduling.
- Works in liaison with the front-of-house management team to ensure efficient restaurant operations.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in the creation, costing, and implementation of menus.
- Execute menu items from start to finish, ensuring quality is always maintained.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with costing and inventory, in order to ensure budgets are met while waste is avoided.
- Uphold the highest standards of food safety, food handling, and sanitation requirements in order to ensure the health and safety of staff and guests.
- Understand and uphold sanitary standards and employee health checks in relation to COVID-19 requirements.
- Ensure all staff members adhere to culinary standards and regulations.
- Maintain the high standards of cleanliness and appearance throughout all areas of the restaurant.
- Follow all company policies and procedures including recently created and evolving COVID guidelines.
- Follow all Department of Health (DOH) standards.
- Understanding that we require a positive and respectful attitude in the workplace.
- Understand and strive to behave in a way that is in line with the company’s values of respect, excellence, transparency, and resilience. The full definition of these values is in our company handbook.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance for full time employees
- Commuter Benefits
- Paid Time Off
- Discounted Gym Membership
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Mattos Hospitality reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Mattos Hospitality or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
We are an equal opportunities employer, all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Compensation: Salary ($60,000.00 - $75,000.00)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Potential Bonuses, Dining Discounts, Wellness Program
Basic Knife Skills
Cleaning / Sanitation
Ordering / Purchasing
Pasta Dough Making
100 Covers Per Night
Other jobs you might be interested in
1 Employee Recommendation
Part of Mattos Hospitality
Located on a bright downtown corner, Altro Paradiso serves chef-owner Ignacio Mattos' light, satisfying takes on Italian cuisine: a beloved fennel salad with provolone cheese, arancini dipped in Calabrian chili oil, and house-made candele cacio e pepe, to name but a few classics. Though Altro frequently ranks among the best places to eat in New York City, it's a pretty laid-back place that tends to attract quite a few regulars from the neighborhood.