Required Years of Experience
The Mattos Hospitality Team is looking for Sous Chef's for all locations!
The Sous Chef will assist the Chef de Cuisine with the running and management of the kitchen. This candidate will be able to work well under pressure, execute a range of daily tasks; ensure the kitchen produces exemplary food while simultaneously fostering a healthy, happy work environment. This candidate will have the ability to lead and manage every aspect of the kitchen as it is imperative for this role.
The primary responsibilities include:
- You will be able to to step into a leadership role in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine
- Can oversee kitchen operations in accordance with company standards
- Constantly be a mentor for all kitchen employees, assisting in their training
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in managing the line and all kitchen employees
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with scheduling and labor controls
- Assists the Chef de Cuisine with staff communication, eg meetings, feedback, scheduling
- Train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement, and plating of dishes
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with labor controls and scheduling
- Support the team through the many changes because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Works in liaison with the front-of-house management team to ensure efficient restaurant operations
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in the creation, costing, and implementation of menus
- Execute menu items from start to finish, ensuring quality is always maintained
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with costing and inventory, in order to ensure budgets are met while waste is avoided
- Uphold the highest standards of food safety, food handling, and sanitation requirements in order to ensure the health and safety of staff and guests
- Understand and uphold sanitary standards and employee health checks in relation to COVID-19 requirements
- Ensure all staff members adhere to culinary standards and regulations
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours.
- Minimum of 2 years experience at Sous Chef level in a fine dining, full service restaurant.
- Experience managing kitchen operations for food and beverage for multiple outlets within a hotel
Compensation: Salary ($65,000.00 - $75,000.00)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Potential Bonuses, Dining Discounts, Wellness Program
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Mattos Hospitality
At Mattos Hospitality our purpose is to create memorable and joyful experiences for our community through commitment to each others development, creativity, and craftsmanship.
In 2013, Ignacio Mattos opened Estela on Houston Street in the space that once housed the Knitting Factory music venue. With a deep wine list and a bar serving cocktails late into every evening, Estela is a place that takes inspiration from the busy, dependable restaurants that Mattos loves to visit around the world but that is also firmly rooted in downtown New York City.
In early 2016, he opened his second restaurant on Spring Street in SoHo, the Italian restaurant Café Altro Paradiso. Since its opening, Estela has been named one of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants and has received a Michelin Star, in addition to a wide range of best-of local and national publications, and Ignacio was nominated for a James Beard Best Chef: New York award in 2017 .
Located at 1 Rockefeller Plaza, Lodi which opened in September 2021, draws inspiration from Italian aperitivo culture and the Art Deco architecture of the bakery and restaurants’ surroundings. Ignacio Mattos and his team envision Lodi as a neighborhood anchor both elegant and friendly that matches its historic address. It is a place you can visit any time of day, whether for a quick morning espresso or a leisurely late-afternoon cocktail on the plaza.
In 2022, the group led the food and beverage program for a luxury, boutique hotel - Nine Orchard - in a beautiful period building on the Lower East Side. This includes: an elegant, upscale restaurant, a neighborhood bar, lounge, rooftop bar, in-room dining and a number of private event spaces.