Required Years of Experience
The Wine Director is responsible for maintaining our high standards of quality and guest satisfaction and is responsible for managing the wine program for all Food & Beverage outlets at the Nine Orchard Hotel - Corner Bar, Swan Room, & Events. In addition, the Beverage Manager will maintain excellent relationships with employees, guests and clients as well as other departments within the operation.
This role will participate in daily service and is responsible for advising guests on wine selections according to menu, personal preferences and budget to enhance the guests’ overall experience.
The Beverage Director will contribute to the leadership of the service team and oversee additional members of the wine team. This role is critical towards motivating and mentoring staff’s wine and beverage knowledge and commit themselves to fostering an environment of excellence in food, wine and service.
The wine program at Nine Orchard Hotel boasts over 1,000 references over our 70 page list. The focus of the program spans over classic selections from Champagne and Burgundy but shares space with up and coming producers from all around the world.
- Embody the standards of the Restaurant Brand by displaying professionalism in all forms of communication. Demonstrate the ability to lead and build capable teams and be a steward of our culture.
- Work to ensure continuous development in quality of guest experience, service, operational efficiency, employee retention and satisfaction. Ensure effective leadership and communication throughout the property.
- Work as a member of the leadership team to achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility and sanitation and cleanliness through training of employees and creating a positive, productive working environment.
- Manage and develop direct reports towards individual growth and quality standards of excellence through mentorship, training, and leading by example.
- Ensure consistent, thorough, and timely communication to subordinates, peers, managers, guests and vendors.
- Assist in development of budgetary goals and achieving to grow the business.
- Play an active and visible part of daily service; Interact with guest frequently to ensure satisfaction of their dining experience, and to build relationships to develop return clientele
- Responsible for comprehensive knowledge of food and beverage menus, including ingredients and preparation, and can accurately describe dishes to guest.
- Develop and oversee the beverage educational program for the staff with the intention to continually advance their beverage knowledge, selling techniques, and service standards.
- Works in collaboration with the Culinary Team to create food and wine pairings
- Curate cocktail offerings that are representative of the brands and cuisine. Ensure profitability of offerings and ensure team members are trained on recipes, preparation and techniques.
- Ensure team members are trained on legal alcoholic beverage service and safety techniques and understand health standards.
- Place orders for all wine, liquor, beer, other beverages, bar consumables, and service tools to established par levels required for business in accordance to the restaurant’s policies and procedures and ensure goods are received in correct count and condition.
- Conduct inventories on a daily, weekly and monthly basis in accordance to restaurant policies and prepare and maintain all relevant financial and inventory reports; review and analyze sales to ensure stock rotation and that profitability remains within targets
- Meet with vendors to discuss beverage program needs, make selections and negotiate purchasing
- Retain product and industry knowledge in relation to current trends, local producers and special events, as it pertains to the market.
- Ensure all equipment, cellars and storage areas are kept clean and in excellent working condition through inspections and in accordance with the restaurant’s preventive maintenance programs.
- Responsible for ensuring all wine and beverage ordered is entered in Point of Sales for guest check.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest experience is never compromised as a result of operational challenges; including, but not limited to, order taking, wine service, and other general duties.
- Responsible for maintaining a Safe & Comfortable work environment for all team members. Ensure all health and safety protocols are implemented and maintained. Guarantee any heath procedures are executed daily.
NOTE: JOB DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON BUSINESS NECESSITY.
The job description isn’t meant to be complete list of your qualifications or all the things you’ll do.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Mattos Hospitality LLC –is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, Invest Hospitality, LLC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCRETION
Employee must maintain the confidentiality of all company and customer information and must not discuss such matters outside of Mattos Hospitality, LLC. Tact and discretion must be used in all dealings with all customers and potential customers to maintain a positive image of Mattos Hospitality, LLC.
Compensation: Salary ($100,000.00)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Potential Bonuses, Dining Discounts
Part of Mattos Hospitality
At Mattos Hospitality our purpose is to create memorable and joyful experiences for our community through commitment to each others development, creativity, and craftsmanship.
In 2013, Ignacio Mattos opened Estela on Houston Street in the space that once housed the Knitting Factory music venue. With a deep wine list and a bar serving cocktails late into every evening, Estela is a place that takes inspiration from the busy, dependable restaurants that Mattos loves to visit around the world but that is also firmly rooted in downtown New York City.
In early 2016, he opened his second restaurant on Spring Street in SoHo, the Italian restaurant Café Altro Paradiso. Since its opening, Estela has been named one of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants and has received a Michelin Star, in addition to a wide range of best-of local and national publications, and Ignacio was nominated for a James Beard Best Chef: New York award in 2017 .
Located at 1 Rockefeller Plaza, Lodi which opened in September 2021, draws inspiration from Italian aperitivo culture and the Art Deco architecture of the bakery and restaurants’ surroundings. Ignacio Mattos and his team envision Lodi as a neighborhood anchor both elegant and friendly that matches its historic address. It is a place you can visit any time of day, whether for a quick morning espresso or a leisurely late-afternoon cocktail on the plaza.
In 2022, the group led the food and beverage program for a luxury, boutique hotel - Nine Orchard - in a beautiful period building on the Lower East Side. This includes: an elegant, upscale restaurant, a neighborhood bar, lounge, rooftop bar, in-room dining and a number of private event spaces.