Required Years of Experience
We are looking for Sommeliers to join our team! We are looking for individuals to work in conjunction with our Wine Director to help select our wine offerings, to provide continued education for our team and to evolve the wine service moving forward. This is an ideal position for someone whose excitement for wine is matched by their deep commitment to guest service & hospitality in a fine dining setting.
We are building a team of individuals focused on genuine hospitality and teamwork - ones who want to become valuable members of a successful service team. The wine list has a strong Italian focus while also featuring wines from the world's other classic/great regions.
Our Sommeliers aide the beverage program in all facets including but not limited to the following:
- Cellar, eurocave and the wine fridge maintenance; organization, stocked, cleanliness.
- Be an authority on the wines used in the restaurant for the uses of wine pairings, by the glass, and those represented as bottle selections on the restaurant’s wine list.
- Helping assist the Wine Director in order to provide education for the Dining Room staff in the full range of beverages for the restaurant, including but not limited to wine, cocktails, beer, tea, and coffee.
- Collaborate with the Wine Director on the selections on the wines used in the restaurant for the uses of wine pairings, by the glass, and those represented as bottle selections.
- Assist the Managers and Wine Director to provide educational outlets, mentorship, and supplies for the Dining Room staff to enrich and strengthen their skills and knowledge in the company’s wine selections as well as the company’s wine philosophy.
This is a full time position and requires flexible schedule availability: including nights and weekends.
- 40% dining discount at group restaurants
- closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- 56 hours of paid sick time every year
- a separate PTO accrual for vacation time (up to 120 hours after 4 years!)
- $500 referral bonuses!
- we offer enrollment in Medical, Dental & Vision insurance to all full time employees
- we provide each full time employee with a no cost life insurance policy
- we provide each full time employee with an enhanced short term disability policy
- access to an Employee Assistance Program (no cost mental health care) for employees & families
As a Sommelier, specific certifications are not required, but a strong fundamental knowledge of the wine regions of the world – both Old and New World – along with producer familiarity and vintage knowledge is mandatory. The most essential component to be a successful Sommelier will be the earnest desire to propel the wine program forward through clear communication and organization, a curiosity to learn more, and a willingness to share our expertise with guests and staff in a helpful, thoughtful way.
- Must have 2 years + experience in a fast paced NYC restaurant as a Sommelier
- Must be able to lift & a carry at least 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be comfortable with repetitive motions (such as walking, bending & standing)
- Must be knowledgeable of Industry critics & awards
- Must have full schedule availability
- Must be able to take constructive criticisms and work well in a team dynamic
- Be warm, knowledgeable and noticeably appreciative
- Accommodate guests by making each individual feel welcome
- Provide friendly, knowledgeable, attentive wine service for our guests
- Act professional and accommodating and always maintain composure
- Identify and report problems to management immediately
- Be aware of service flow, dining timing, and adjust for each guest’s individual needs
- Implement and follow steps of service
- Oversee activities of your team in the station
85 Tenth Restaurants LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Compensation: Hourly ($10.00) plus tips
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Dining Discounts, Wellness Program
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of 85 Tenth Restaurants LLC
Al Coro offers two ways to dine, a three course à la Carte Menu or a Tasting Menu. The seven course tasting menu is $265 per person plus tax and gratuity. A shorter abbreviated five course tasting menu is also available for $210 per person.
The menu offers regional Italian cooking alongside dishes that take a bit of creative license. Dinner starts with antipasti, a duo of pastas, main dishes, and a wave of sweets.
Executive Chef + Partner
Executive Pastry Chef
Food & Beverage Director
Chef de Cuisine
Director of People & Operations
Creative Operations Manager
Director of Business Operations