Required Years of Experience
SAGA is the second restaurant from the team behind Crown Shy: Chef James Kent, former longtime Chef de Cuisine at Eleven Madison Park, and Jeff Katz, former Managing Director of Del Posto.
At SAGA, we serve an 8-course tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from the Hudson Valley, with ideas and inspirations from our mentors, food memories from our childhoods, and the enormous breadth of cuisine we eat in New York City.
Our wine list showcases regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of winemaking, with a focus on artisanal growers.
One floor above SAGA is Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. An abbreviated food menu will be available at Overstory.
Pastry Cooks are the core of the Pastry Department. You and your fellow cooks will be responsible for producing mise en place for service, private dining, and special events. Pastry Cooks are also responsible for organizing and cleaning their stations, cooking and plating food to order, and breaking down their stations at the end of their shifts.
As a Pastry Cook at SAGA, you should have a thorough understanding of classic cooking and pastry techniques as well as a basic understanding of how to use all the equipment required to produce your mise en place safely. Pastry Cooks at SAGA must possess a natural drive to do well and work together.
SAGA believes in a ‘whole house’ mentality and we expect all departments (Pastry, Savory, Dining Room, and Facilities) to support and motivate each other to achieve our goal of guest satisfaction. As a Pastry Cook, you will interact with all of these departments regularly and should be able to communicate effectively and respectfully with your co workers & managers.
This is a full time position. SAGA will be open 7 days a week. We are closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
Our restaurants offer access to insurance enrollments (must maintain 25 hours per week), no cost life insurance, a short term disability policy, an Employee Assistance Program (with access to free mental health counseling), 40% dining discounts at group restaurants, referral bonuses, and more!
CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS & CHARACTERISTICS OF SUCCESS
- At least 2 years of experience in a professional kitchen (restaurant, bakery, hotel, ect.)
- Strong commitment to excellence: Always do the right thing, especially when no one is looking
- Positive outlook and demeanor; negativity and malice will not be tolerated
- A desire to learn and grow in an exciting & quickly changing environment
- Sense of urgency
- Able to demonstrate classic pastry and cooking techniques
- Able to prepare ingredients and setup station mise en place for service
- Able to keep your station clean and organized during and after your shift
- A working understanding of sanitation codes and DOH regulations
- Work closely and collaboratively with the savory team
- Must be able to lift & a carry at least 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be comfortable with repetitive motions (such as walking, bending & standing)
- Ability to go up and down flights of stairs multiple times a day
Compensation: Hourly (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Dining Discounts, Wellness Program
Other jobs you might be interested in
1 Employee RecommendationSee Details
Part of Radicle Hospitality
Perched on the 63rd floor of an Art Deco tower at 70 Pine Street, SAGA is a fine dining restaurant in New York City’s Financial District. The restaurant is the sophomore project from Chef James Kent and the team behind Crown Shy; which opened in March 2019 on the ground floor of the same building.
The SAGA suite comprises the top four stories of 70 Pine Street in the tiered spire of the building. One floor above SAGA is Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. The 62nd and 66th floors are dedicated to private events. The latter–the former observation deck of the building–is a private dining room for a single 18-person table accessed by a private elevator that rises from the ground.