Click your avatar to access saved jobs and applications
Etti, a new Italian restaurant in Echo Park, is seeking a chef/kitchen manager to lead our culinary program and oversee all back-of-house operations. Our menu will merge traditional Italian gastronomy with the sensibility and seasonality of Southern California, making use of freshly milled grains, speciality produce, and the finest local and imported ingredients. Food offerings will encompass friti, antipasti, pizza, pasta, contorni, and main courses, as well as house-baked bread and biscotti.
The restaurant is currently under construction and is expected to open in winter or spring 2017. The restaurant will be located on Echo Park Avenue in the heart of Echo Park, in a fully renovated 1920s building that will feature a purpose-built open kitchen with all new equipment.
The restaurant will serve lunch and dinner six days a week, and brunch Saturdays and Sundays. Lighter fare may be offered weekday mornings. The restaurant will have approximately 88 seats split across an interior dining room and a landscaped indoor-outdoor courtyard. Regional Italian wines and California craft beers will be offered.
We seek an individual who shares our commitment to making food with integrity and to cultivating a progressive, collaborative, and inclusive workplace.
The chef/kitchen manager will have a central role in defining the restaurant’s menu offerings and BOH operations. As a key member of the opening team, the chef/kitchen manager will closely collaborate with the owner and general manager to shape the guest experience, and will oversee the creation, launch, and day-to-day implementation of the menu. The position will commence in advance of the restaurant opening to facilitate the chef/kitchen manager’s role in setting up the kitchen, developing recipes, finalizing menus, and hiring additional kitchen staff, among other pre-opening activities.
This is a salaried, full-time, management-level position. As such, the chef/kitchen manager will directly supervise all aspects of the kitchen, and will continuously consult with the owner and general manager on the overall operation and of the restaurant. The owner will maintain an active daily presence and be closely engaged in supporting the chef/kitchen manager and the staff as a whole.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced professional with extensive knowledge of Italian cuisine and the ability to successfully manage all aspects of BOH operations. The ability to effectively train and coordinate cooks and other kitchen staff, demonstrated culinary skill, respect for ingredients, dedication to consistent execution, and knowledge of restaurant financials are essential. Preference will be given to candidates with strong experience in pizza and fresh pasta.
Experience cooking in Italy is desirable but not required—subsidized travel to Italy may be available prior to restaurant opening (see below). Opening experience is desirable but not required. Above all, we seek a genuine and reliable collaborator who is committed to creating excellent food in a convivial, professional workplace.
• Minimum two years kitchen management experience
• Familiarity with Italian cuisine, regional variations, and traditional techniques, dishes, and ingredients (additional education/support in this aspect is available, including possibility of travel to Italy—see below)
• Ability to effectively recruit, hire, train, manage, and schedule kitchen staff
• Ability to successfully work alongside owner and FOH staff
• Ability to implement cost-control measures, and to analyze and act upon financial reports
• Excellent time management ability
• Ability to oversee food inventory, coordinate food deliveries, and maintain relationships with purveyors and suppliers
• Ability to engage with guests and offer genuine hospitality
• Ability to maintain complete knowledge of all menu items and to ensure quality standards with regard to taste, appearance, texture, temperature, portion size and presentation
• Ability to uphold food safety and occupational safety standards
• ServSafe food handler certificate (at minimum) or manager certificate (preferred)
• Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
• Ability to carry up to 120 feet
• Familiarity with metric system
• Ability to use inventory management and staff scheduling software, POS, Excel, etc.
Key Responsibilities, Pre-Opening:
• Collaborating with the owner to write menus, develop recipes, define plating/presentation standards, and establish a strong culinary identity for the restaurant
• Collaborating with owner to recruit, hire, and train opening BOH staff (sous chef, cooks, bakers, porters, dishwashers, etc.)
• Setting up the kitchen and selecting equipment, small wares, etc.
• Developing SOPs to ensure consistent food quality and food/occupational safety
• Collaborating with owner and general manager on other pre-opening activities and decisions as required
Key Responsibilities, Ongoing:
• Managing and scheduling BOH staff
• Executing regular meal service and ensuring food quality and consistency
• Working with local farmers, local mills, and Italian importers to source the best ingredients possible; managing food orders, deliveries, and inventory
• Consulting with the owner to control costs, revise menu pricing, and review sales reports and P&L statements
• Implementing SOPs to ensure compliance with relevant health department and occupational safety regulations
• Consulting with owner and general manager to conduct ongoing staff training/education and other measures aimed at improving staff retention, staff performance, and overall operations
Competitive annual salary commensurate with experience; please send salary requirements with application. Start date, schedule, and benefits to be determined in consultation with owner. A subsided research and professional development trip to Italy prior to the restaurant opening may be available, pending final contract negotiations and given adequate lead time. The purpose of this trip would be to experience firsthand some of the dishes, restaurants, regional cuisines, and traditional ingredients that have inspired Etti. Itinerary may include opportunities to stage as available.
Please send a current resume, salary requirements, and a cover letter summarizing your interest and qualifications to [email protected], or apply through the Culinary Agents website.
You may also send menus, food photographs, press, letters of recommendation, or other supporting materials you would like us to consider—these items are optional but helpful.
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Pasta Dough Making