Required Years of Experience
The Mattos Hospitality Team is looking for a Sous Chef to join the group for an exciting upcoming project!
Nine Orchard is a luxury, boutique hotel in a beautiful period building on the Lower East Side, operated by the team at Mattos Hospitality who also own and operate the New York classics, Estela and Altro Paradiso. The Food and Beverage program at Nine Orchard will include an elegant, upscale restaurant, a neighborhood bar, lounge, rooftop bar, in-room dining and private event spaces.
The Sous Chef will assist the Chef de Cuisine with the running and management of the kitchen. This candidate will be able to work well under pressure, execute a range of daily tasks; ensure the kitchen produces exemplary food while simultaneously fostering a healthy, happy work environment. This candidate will have the ability to lead and manage every aspect of the kitchen as it is imperative for this role.
The primary responsibilities include:
- You will be able to to step into a leadership role in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine
- Can oversee kitchen operations in accordance with company standards
- Constantly be a mentor for all kitchen employees, assisting in their training
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in managing the line and all kitchen employees
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with scheduling and labor controls
- Assists the Chef de Cuisine with staff communication, eg meetings, feedback, scheduling
- Train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement, and plating of dishes
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with labor controls and scheduling
- Support the team through the many changes because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Works in liaison with the front-of-house management team to ensure efficient restaurant operations
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in the creation, costing, and implementation of menus
- Execute menu items from start to finish, ensuring quality is always maintained
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with costing and inventory, in order to ensure budgets are met while waste is avoided
- Uphold the highest standards of food safety, food handling, and sanitation requirements in order to ensure the health and safety of staff and guests
- Understand and uphold sanitary standards and employee health checks in relation to COVID-19 requirements
- Ensure all staff members adhere to culinary standards and regulations
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours.
- You understand that we require a positive and respectful attitude in theworkplace. You will attempt to understand and strive to behave in a way that is in line with the company’s values of Service, Excellence, Respect, Resilience, and Teamwork. The full definition of these values is in our company handbook.
- Minimum of 2 years experience at Sous Chef level in a fine dining, full service restaurant.
- Experience managing kitchen operations for food and beverage for multiple outlets within a hotel
We are an equal opportunities employer, all applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Potential Bonuses, Dining Discounts
Other jobs you might be interested in
New American, American
Boutique Hotel, Luxury Hotel, Full Service Hotel
1 Employee RecommendationSee Details
Part of Mattos Hospitality
Nine Orchard is a luxury, boutique hotel located on Manhattan's Lower East Side. The Food and Beverage offerings are curated by the Mattos Hospitality team, led by Chef Ignacio Mattos, owns and operates New York classics including Estela, Altro Paradiso and Lodi.
The Food and Beverage program at Nine Orchard includes Corner Bar, Lobby Lounge, a collection of private event spaces, in-room dining, and soon a fine-dining restaurant, Amado Grill.
We are actively recruiting for our team at Nine Orchard. If you would like to take part in this exciting opportunity, please review our job posts and apply today. We look forward to connecting soon!