Required Years of Experience
Inside Summer House, guests will find a laid-back, friendly vibe with an environment reminiscent of a beach house. Complete with California-inspired decor, the chef-driven menu highlights simple, handcrafted dishes prepared with local and seasonal ingredients, many of which are prepared on a wood-fire grill. The eclectic menu is a crowd pleaser with options such as Ahi Tuna Tostadas, Hand-Rolled Sushi, Tacos and Wood-Grilled Fish. Summer House offers a carefully curated selection of California wine to complement each menu item as well as chef-crafted cocktails, zero-proof cocktails and draft and bottled beers. A bakery counter shared with Stella Barra Pizzeria serves a selection of freshly baked breakfast pastries, muffins and Chef Jeff Mahin’s famous cookie selection. No matter the season or the weather, you will be transported to summer.
Join the Lettuce Entertain You team! Our 100+ restaurants are nationally recognized for great food and service and as great places to work. We hire and care deeply for people with creativity, passion and the drive to be the best. And we reward our teams with top notch benefits, career-long training and development and opportunities for growth. If you want a career at a progressive company with a long-standing commitment to people, join our caring and creative team.
EOE. We participate in E-Verify / Participamos en E-Verify
Executive Chefs are responsible to oversee and monitor all back of house (BOH) operations, ordering and systems for the restaurant; develop menu items in partnership with Partners/Chef Partners; and ensure effective BOH training programs in collaboration with the designated trainer and chefs.
- Oversee and ensure effective and efficient BOH operations including but not limited to monitoring and ensuring consistent purchasing standards and inventory, and tracking and controlling food costs
- Provide guidance and leadership to hourly and management teams while fostering our Culture of Caring
- Research, develop and execute seasonal menus and new menu items as directed in partnership with divisional leaders
- Ensure effective BOH training in collaboration with divisional trainers and chefs including but not limited to executing training, monitoring effectiveness and implementing improvements
- Conduct quarterly in-restaurant audits of BOH standard operating procedures and systems (for example, inventory sheets, purchase orders, daily labor sheets, etc.)
- Partner with designated chefs to purchase and order food product and supplies for the restaurant including daily product order
- Partner with GM, designated managers and chefs to regularly review and maintain recipe books
- Create new and maintain existing recipe costing in partnership with GM and designated chefs
- Evaluate restaurants’ culinary feedback from the Ratings Program with GMs and chefs, and follow up with GMs, chefs and management teams Understand and follow the food allergy procedure and special orders/restrictions
- Ensure proper food storage and food quality standards including consistency and presentation
- Ensure repair and maintenance needs are met and/or communicated to designated manager
- Understand and follow the food allergy procedure and special orders/restrictions
- Monitor and ensure the restaurant and the team’s compliance with all Company and restaurant policies and procedures as well as all legal and regulatory requirements (including but not limited to safety and sanitation regulations) and represent the restaurant and Company in interactions with legal and regulatory authorities
- Schedule, conduct and document BOH Manager performance reviews in partnership with GM and or partner
- Partner with GMs, designated managers and chefs to interview, hire, onboard, train, supervise and develop BOH team
- Assist GMs, designated managers and chefs to monitor, address and document individual BOH employee performance through recognition, coaching and when necessary, disciplinary action up to and including employment termination
- Ensure that kitchen equipment is maintained and repaired as needed
- Assist with or perform the following tasks if needed: pre-shift line check to ensure quality of all items; meeting with appropriate GMs, designated managers and chefs to coordinate and ensure production standards; and review kitchen personnel needs and issues
- Contribute to shift meetings when needed
- Participate in all new openings (local and out-of-state) as needed
- Maintain proficiency in job functions of all BOH positions and provide active back-up support when business needs require
- Work a variety of days and shifts (including early mornings, late nights and weekends) at multiple sites as needed
- Travel overnight occasionally as needed
- Safely and effectively use and operate all necessary tools, utensils, equipment and software (for example, restaurant management software, knives, etc.)
- Effectively communicate in order to perform and follow job requirements in written and spoken direction
- Multitask calmly and effectively in a busy, stressful environment
- Work in a confined, crowded space of variable light, noise and temperature levels
- Move and lift up to 10 pounds, frequently move and/or lift up to 25 pounds, occasionally move and/or lift up to 50 pounds
- Stand and walk for an entire shift and move safely through all areas of the restaurant, which may include stairs, uneven or slick surfaces
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Model and promote teamwork across all teams
- Use tact and good judgment when dealing with challenges pertaining to guests, vendors and employees, and respond with patience and courtesy
- Organize and conduct periodic informational seminars for employees
- Proficiently use and operate all necessary tools (including but not limited to knives) and equipment
- Follow all rules, policies, procedures and conditions of employment, including those outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Other duties assigned as needed
Relevant keywords: Executive Chef, Executive Chefs, Executive Chef, Executive Chefs, Executive Sous, Hiring Executive Sous Chefs, Hiring Executive Chefs, Seeking Executive Chef, Seeking Executive Sous Chef, Seeking Executive Chefs, Seeking Executive Chefs, Seeking Experienced Executive Chef, Seeking Experienced Executive Chefs, Experienced Executive Chef, Restaurant Executive Chef, BOH, Back of House, BOH Management, Executive Chef Opportunity, Executive Culinary Opportunity, Executive Culinary Jobs, Restaurant Executive Chefs, Upscale Restaurants, High-Volume Executive Chef, Culinary Restaurant Jobs, Culinary Management and Executive Chef, Now Hiring Executive Chefs, Now Hiring Executive Chef
- Fast-Paced Experience
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Other jobs you might be interested in
Located in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood, Summer House Santa Monica presents an escape to the warmth and laid-back vibes of the West Coast, complete with beach house décor and a beautiful retractable glass ceiling.
At the heart of the open kitchen lies a wood fire grill that is the workhorse of many of Summer House’s menu items. The menu, created by Chef/Partner Jeff Mahin, is California inspired and focuses on market driven ingredients, local and sustainable farming, and seasonal specialties, all complemented by a carefully curated list of California and Pacific North Coast wines.
The Market counter, shared with Stella Barra Pizzeria, offers a variety of our signature fresh-baked pastries, cookies, sourdough English muffins, along with locally sourced coffee and specialty espresso drinks.
No matter the season, no matter the weather, you will be transported to the warmth of California at Summer House.
EOE. We participate in E-Verify.