Required Years of Experience
The Shinola Hotel is seeking an Director of Banquets.
Featuring Detroit-inspired design with multiple food and beverage venues from NoHo Hospitality Group, The Shinola Hotel reflects the best of Shinola’s American-built craftsmanship to provide an experience worthy of the city itself.
Ideal candidates possess:
- High school graduate or equivalent vocational training certificate, some college.
- 3+ years experience as an Event and/or Catering Captain or Supervisor, preferably in a fine dining restaurant, catering company or hotel group Or 1+ years as a Banquet Manager.
- Developed knowledge of various food service styles including stations, family-style, buffet and plated services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with fluency in English, multilingualism will be considered an asset.
- Strong leadership skills, developed organizational and multi-tasking abilities and sound administrative skills.
- Ability to input and access information in the property management system/computers.
- Excellent problem resolution listening skills.
- Assist with ascertaining departmental training needs and develop and support implementation of such training.
- Compute basic arithmetic.
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed based on the events calendar.
What you will be doing:
- Be an ambassador of hospitality for all services and events.
- Foster and maintain positive guest relations at all times and resolve guest complaints, ensuring guest satisfaction.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guests, however busy and whatever time of day.
- Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale.
- Assist with maintaining the training materials for the events service team, revise when applicable collaborating with the Senior Events and Catering Manager and Director of Events
- Update weekly work schedules in accordance with staffing guidelines and labor forecasts, based on upcoming events. Adjust schedules throughout the week to meet the event demands.
- Maintain complete knowledge of and comply with all departmental policies/service procedures and standards.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies, handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees with the Senior Events & Catering Manager as well as the Director of Events & Catering according to company standards with the support of HR.
- Assign work and side duties to staff in accordance with departmental procedures. Communicate additions or changes to the assignments as they arise throughout the shift.
- Monitor the preparation of station assignments, ensuring compliance to departmental standards.
We offer medical, dental, and vision benefits day of hire for full-time employees, 401(k), Paid Time Off, as well as other incredible discounts!
Since first partnering in 2009, chef Andrew Carmellini, Josh Pickard and Luke Ostrom have opened a national portfolio of restaurants and culinary services at preeminent hotels, live music venues and major metropolitan sports arenas and airports across New York City, Baltimore and Detroit including Locanda Verde, The Dutch, Joe’s Pub and The Library at The Public, Lafayette, Bar Primi, Little Park, Leuca, Westlight, Mister Dips, Rec Pier Chop House, The Cannon Room, Rye Street Tavern, San Morello, Evening Bar, The Brakeman and Penny Red's. The team runs food and beverage operations in six hotels, including The Greenwich Hotel, AKA Tribeca, The William Vale, Sagamore Pendry Baltimore and the Shinola Hotel. Known for delivering quality experiences and pertinent culinary culture, each place is a distinctly owned, handcrafted labor of love. They've received widespread critical acclaim, recognition on countless “Best of” lists, a Michelin star, and two coveted James Beard Foundation awards. To learn more, visit nhgnyc.com or AndrewCarmellini.com.
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k, Commuter Benefits, Potential Bonuses, Dining Discounts, Wellness Program
Full Service Hotel, Boutique Hotel
Part of NoHo Hospitality Group
Shinola Hotel is a boutique hotel in the heart of downtown Detroit that embodies the pride and ingenuity of Detroit with unparalleled design, on-site dining and shopping.
Indulge in a diverse array of culinary experiences at Shinola Hotel, where we are proud to feature some of the best new restaurants in Detroit. Grab a classic cocktail in the Living Room or Evening Bar, taste the authentic Southern Italian dishes at San Morello, try the brews and Detroit-style fried chicken at The Brakeman and Penny Red's or dig in to some griddle burgers, boozy shakes and more at Mister Dips.