Required Years of Experience
The barista is the face of our bakery. Directly responsible for the brew and sale of coffee, baristas have the opportunity to share each coffee's unique story and flavor on behalf of growers and our coffee partners. Forming good guest relationships is vital to creating repeat guests, or "regulars." Baristas will come to work in a correct uniform, well-groomed, and are here to friendly and create a sense of warmth and hospitality for our guests. Our best baristas are fixtures of the neighborhood.
Baristas should be able to recommend coffees based on guest preferences as well as their own favorites, and answer most questions about coffee. While reading and studying facts about coffee are important, there is a certain aspect of coffee knowledge that is only obtained by tasting different varieties or brews and noting the distinctions among them. Do this often, and even if a given coffee is not your favorite, seek positive ways to describe flavors.
Our baristas are also selling a wide variety of our baked goods from cakes and cake balls, to croissants, to lemon bars and loaves of bread. They are responsible for being able to describe them, in detail to guests; making suggestions and pairings when called upon.
- Be available to fill in as needed to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the restaurant as directed by the restaurant manager or immediate supervisor
- Complying with health and food safety standards, restocking items, cleaning, etc.
- Provide great customer service, and follow Fifty/50 Restaurant Group policies and procedures
- Be a positive, upbeat, and personable person at all times while working
- Be able to stay calm and collected in what could at sometimes be a stressful environment.
- Ability to stand/walk a minimum of 8 hours or as needed.
- Must be able to exert well-paced and frequent mobility for periods of up to 8 hours or as needed.
- Be able to lift up to 20 pounds frequently.
- Will frequently reach, feel, bend, stoop, carry, finely manipulate and key in data.
- Work in both warm and cool environments
- High levels of noise from music, customer and employee traffic.
Must be able to tolerate potential allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, vegetarian and/or vegan, soy, seafood and shellfish.
Qualifications, Education and Behavior:
- At least 17 years old
- Have a minimum of 6 months restaurant experience
- Ability to work quickly while maintaining safety standards and procedures
- Ability to properly handle a knife, confidently
- Ability to work very early mornings, as early as 6AM, daytime and weekend brunch shifts
- Ability to work consistent schedule at least 3-4 days per week
- Food Handlers Certificate
- Food Safety Knowledge
- General knife handling
- Ability To Lift 40+ Pounds
- Coffee Knowledge
- Customer service
WHY THIS IS A CAREER & NOT JUST A JOB
- Benefit Packages (Medical, Dental and Vision) with employer subsidy
- Competitive Pay and 401K + Match
- Paid Time Off (salary), Paid Sick Leave, and Paid Maternity
- Monthly Food + Beverage Perks at all of our establishments
- Quarterly Bonus Program (salary)
Compensation: Hourly (Based on Experience)
Other jobs you might be interested in
Desserts, Salads / Sandwiches / Soups, Breakfast / Brunch, American
Bakery / Patisserie, Casual Dining
Part of The Fifty/50 Restaurant Group
West Town Bakery blends Chicago's urban street art and music while focusing on the techniques and flavors of the pastry scene. From our managers and chefs to our bakers and baristas, each member is instrumental in the creation of our breads, pastries, coffees and cakes, based on the principal belief that everyone should be able to have their cake and eat it too.