Required Years of Experience
Why work at Hewn? We take the health and safety of our staff very seriously. Masks are currently required for both customers and staff. We are all vaccinated, but we are still providing weekly Covid screening tests for everyone at the bakery. We provide competitive pay and a full benefits package including health care, life insurance, long-term disability insurance, and a Simple IRA. We provide a collaborative and respectful work environment and there is an opportunity for professional growth.
• Assists store manager in the overall management of the store.
• Partners with the store manager in creating sales volume growth and creating a positive customer experience.
• Assists store manager in planning and executing sales promotions and maintaining a positive community image.
• Assists with inventory management and ordering.
• Performs opening and closing duties.
• Ensures that equipment is maintained in a safe and clean manner.
• Assists store manager with all catering orders and prep.
• Assists the store manager in maintaining proper loss prevention standards, reviewing cash handling procedures, deposits, and safe procedures.
• Completes all FOH duties including register, packaging product, customer service, cleaning etc.
• Proactive in solving customer problems and satisfying customers in various situations.
• Ensures that all team members provide customers with efficient and friendly, superior service on a consistent basis.
• Maintains high cleanliness standards consistently throughout the store in the areas of store appearance, merchandise, and equipment.
• Maintains efficient, friendly service standards.
• Ensures that all team members are educated on our products and services.
• Consistently maintains the highest quality product standards.
• Assists in the training of new employees.
• Motivates staff to maintain quality and consistent customer service.
• Minimum high school diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred.
• Minimum one-year bakery/coffee retail experience, managerial experience is preferred.
• Register and cash handling experience.
• Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel. We use Square for our POS and online ordering and TOCK for our special orders and holiday orders.
• Weekend availability is required (both days). Most shifts start at 5:30 am.
• Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task.
• Must have effective problem-solving/decision-making abilities.
• Must be able to lift up to 40lbs and be on your feet for several hours.
• Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• ServSafe Managers and Allergen Certificates are required.
To apply - email your cover letter and resume to [email protected] All initial interviews will be scheduled via Zoom due to Covid protocols.
Compensation: Hourly (Based on Experience) plus tips
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Potential Bonuses
High Volume Service
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Salads / Sandwiches / Soups, Desserts, Vegan / Vegetarian, American, Coffee / Tea, French, Farm To Table
Bakery / Patisserie, Cafe
The word "hewn" is a way to connect the past with the future. Everything at Hewn is made in-house, from scratch daily. We source our grains from local, organic farms, and all of our breads are hand-mixed, hand-shaped and naturally fermented without commercial yeast. We appreciate our partnerships with local farmers, and we enjoy creating new items using heritage flours.
Regardless of experience, every new baker hired at Hewn goes through our extensive training program. Each staff person is provided with opportunities for professional growth. We have a wonderful team of people who share our commitment to making the best possible products.
Hewn has been recognized in the New York Times, Chicago Magazine, the Chicago Tribune, Saveur magazine and many other local and national publications for our commitment to making naturally fermented artisan breads and pastries. We are a part of Evanston's burgeoning food and drink scene, and we appreciate being in a diverse community.