Required Years of Experience
Link Restaurant Group is currently looking for an experienced Sous Chef to join our team.
The Link Restaurant Group was founded in January 2009 by James Beard Award Winning Chefs Donald Link and his business partner Stephen Stryjewski, with the goal to support the continuous growth of their family of restaurants, currently including Herbsaint, Cochon, Cochon Butcher, Calcasieu, Peche Seafood Grill, La Boulangerie and Gianna. Their guiding philosophy is to produce honest, simple food. Growing up in South Louisiana taught Chef Link about the importance of traditions and the region’s unique flavors, and he is proud to share that food at the restaurants of the Link Restaurant Group.
We offer competitive wages, career progression and professional development, health insurance and 401k with company match.
Link Restaurant Group Sous Chefs will be responsible for assisting the Chef de Cuisine in managing production, overall quality, consistency, presentation, COGS controls, and administrative tasks.
- Maintain the standard of excellent quality; the Sous Chef is responsible for ongoing training and communicating these standards to the BOH staff.
- Assist the Chef De Cuisine in providing excellent quality and presentation of all food to the guests. The demonstration, preparation, and execution of each menu item as well as the item specifications and presentation will be agreed upon.
- Train, instruct, and review all cook and prep cooks work for taste, quality, and presentation.
- Make decisions with FOH managers on how to remedy complaints by customers in a polite, friendly manner.
- Planning, assigning, and directing work for BOH employees based upon necessary par levels.
- Assign cleaning and maintenance work daily for dishwashers and porters and inspect to make sure they are done adequately. To include but not limited to sweeping and mopping floors, walk in organization, trash removal, and outside trash maintenance.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen facilities.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws
- Handles large volume production and fast-paced service without issue.
- Work directly with cooks and fellow supervisors to oversee food quality control by constantly tasting and teaching cooking techniques that are in accordance with our standards.
- Assist in developing recipes with Chef de Cuisine.
- Works the necessary hours to help ensure the success of the restaurant. Sous Chefs may be required to work both opening and closing shifts.
- Required to work with fellow Sous Chefs to oversee daily ordering needs.
- Receive all products to ensure quality and accuracy to the order
- Work to maintain the appropriate food cost percentage by minimizing waste, taking proper monthly inventory, ordering in accordance with business levels, and proper product utilization.
- Expedite and work the line per the scheduling requirements needed.
- Assist with representing BOH at pre-shift meetings. Helps communicate specials, dietary concerns, procedures and furthers FOH education when appropriate.
- Assists with BOH facilities maintenance. Maintain a weekly deep cleaning schedule of all BOH equipment.
- Communicate with the BOH staff, identifying developable personnel and providing the necessary training as positions open.
- Resolves complaints from customers in a polite, friendly manner always making sure we follow up with them when needed.
- Helps with duties of other employees (i.e. sous chef, cooks, dishwashers, etc.) when necessary because of an unexpected absence or extra volume.
- Has a strong understanding of company background and the philosophy.
- Perform administrative work-related duties as assigned.
Skills and Requirements
- High school diploma, GED certificate, or demonstration of sufficient reading and math skills to read manuals, prepare food costing, and prepare computer reports as required
- Culinary degree or college degree preferred but not required.
- Previous restaurant experience required.
- Previous management experience required.
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings, and weekends as required.
- Strong communication skills to train and motivate employees.
- Strong time management skills and accuracy to deal with a variety of duties and prepare reports according to schedule.
The work that restaurant chefs do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Managers must work well under pressure and exercise tact and patience when dealing with employees and customers. Managers typically work fifty to sixty-five hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and are open seven days a week, managers may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform and those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position requires employees to work in close quarters with other employees and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other employees and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 45 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing.
LRG is a fully vaccinated company; we require that all employees be vaccinated and can provide proof of vaccination on the first day of employment.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Link Restaurant Group reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of LRG or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
LRG is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k