Required Years of Experience
The Executive Sous Chef is responsible for all culinary activities for the restaurant, under the direction of the Executive Chef. They will assist in ensuring the flow of service is efficient and smooth. The Executive Sous Chef will have the opportunity to provide input on menu development as directed and approved by the Chef de Cuisine and/or Executive Chef. A key responsibility will be mentoring, training, and disciplining BOH Staff (sous chefs, line cooks, prep cooks, etc.)
- Kitchen Responsibilities
- Make periodic and regular inspections of restaurant to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, equipment and employee appearance.
- Ensure all items and recipes are made to standard
- Oversee the line to ensure flow of service and quality of items are at or above Schulson Collective standards
- Assist in the management of all BOH employees including training, mentoring and discipling. Consults with Human Resources as appropriate.
- Initiate relevant maintenance requests for repairs needed in the kitchen.
- Participate in menu planning activities with the Executive Chef/CDC to include the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing and menu development.
- Manage all levels/areas of the back of house and fill a role on the line or expo as needed.
- Train and enforce food and equipment safety and sanitation/cleanliness standards amongst all staff as set by Schulson Collective and Seven Principles
- Monitor receiving of orders to ensure all products meet restaurant standards
- Administrative Responsibilities
- Schedule staff; assist and support CDC/Executive Chef in payroll duties
- Submits nightly reports on service, sales, labor & liquor costs, negative impressions, etc.
- Send HR Related paperwork in a timely fashion including stage paperwork, worker’s comp, and accident reports
- Support Executive Chef and/or CDC with inventory, purchasing, and receiving of products
- Responsible for the management of inventory and food/labor costs as directed by the Executive Chef
- Assist in the interviewing, selection, hiring, and training of all BOH staff
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position manages all restaurant Sous Chefs and hourly BOH staff and is involved in the planning, hiring, training and development of kitchen staff.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally push and/or pull up to 50 pounds. The employee will spend over 4 hours daily standing or walking.
Required Education and Experience
- Degree from Culinary Arts school is preferred; may substitute additional experience for education.
- 5 or more years in Kitchen Management required
- Prior experience in menu creation, recipe writing and coaching/training strongly preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work flexible hours and days. Must exhibit top-notch teamwork.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office products and digital scheduling systems strongly recommended
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k, Potential Bonuses
Other jobs you might be interested in
Wine Bar, Restaurant Group, Fine Dining, Upscale Casual, Cafe, Quick Service, Bar / Lounge
Part of Schulson Collective
Inspired by generations of Italian cooking and culture, Michael Schulson brings a fresh twist to the classics. Enjoy hand-made pasta, hand-rolled cannolis, and every meal in between at Giuseppe & Sons.