Required Years of Experience
Reports to: Director of Restaurants
The General Manager is the overriding authority in the restaurant when Directors and/or Owners are not present. As such they are responsible for managing and overseeing all personnel, facilities, service standards, financials, and administrative tasks of the day-to-day operations in conjunction with the Chef team and while managing and leading the FOH Management team within the assigned restaurant.
Expectations & Qualifications
Leadership & Hands on Management: The General Manager (GM) is expected to lead by example and take an active role in managing staff and supporting service. The GM leads the management team and hourly employees by inspiring, motivating, and managing them to 1. Consistently meet and exceed their respective job performance standards 2. Continually perform their respective jobs in a manner that is consistent with and promotes our Core Values, and 3. To strictly respect and follow the policies and procedures of the Schulson Collective.
Strong Sense of Hospitality – Amaze & Delight: The GM is expected to possess a passion for hospitality and all that it entails. The GM is the key person within the restaurant that communicates and displays the Schulson Collective standard of hospitality for each guest that walks in the door. They are responsible for ensuring that all management and hourly staff have the tools to provide and the demeanor to execute excellent service that consistently amazes and delights our guests.
Extreme Ownership & Attention to Detail: The GM must have an attentiveness to detail and definition of cleanliness in line with Director Team and Ownership. They are responsible for ensuring that the management team and hourly staff also espouse those same standards and attentiveness to the smallest details by following local health code, systems of operations, side work, and repair & maintenance policies and procedures.
Teamwork & Growth: As the leader of the restaurant the GM is expected to build and maintain a sense and practice of teamwork amongst the management team and hourly staff. They will do this by practicing hands on management, cultivating excellence, building team morale, coaching, and counseling as necessary. Additionally, they will continually monitor and provide feedback on performance for managers and staff to help them grow and identify employees who are exceptional performers and work with them to move toward their goals.
Financial Management: The GM is responsible for the financial health of the restaurant and uses goals and standards as set by the Schulson Collective as their measure. This includes controlling of costs (beverage, labor, direct expenses), management of portions and waste, and training the management team to do these things as well. Additionally, they must possess the ability to read, understand, and create/present reports on weekly financials and monthly P&Ls.
Additional Essential Qualities
- Excellent understanding of and execution of our Core Values
- Excellent at time-management and multi-tasking
- Self-Managing and Self Motivated
- Able to lead by motivating and inspiring others
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Manages restaurant team including Assistant General Manager, Managers and Culinary team, along with the Executive Chef.
- Ensures standards for product quality and service are maintained at all times.
- Hires, trains, develops and appraises staff effectively. Takes corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Consults with human resources as appropriate.
- Touches all tables and guests to ensure 100% guest satisfaction and rectifies any negative impressions.
- Develops new hire training programs and schedules to ensure new staff is prepared before going live.
- Keeps up-to-date on information, vendors and technology affecting functional area(s) to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
- Responsible for maintaining liquor and labor cost goals.
- Responsible for developing relationships with vendors, ensuring Schulson Collective maximizes profits and opportunities.
- Determines separation of labor amongst front of house Management teams.
- Work with Executive Chef with regards to menu recommendations, participate in tastings and stay abreast of industry trends.
- Monitors timekeeping, scheduling and Payroll and submits for employee payment.
- Submits nightly reports on service, sales, labor & liquor costs, negative impressions, etc.
- Ensures restaurant is at or above Schulson Collective standards in terms of cleanliness; reports any Facilities repairs as needed.
- Maintains organized employee files to ensure compliance.
- Consistently meets standards outlined within the Schulson Collective’s Core Values.
- May be assigned to different restaurants per company needs.
This position is directly responsible for leading all Managers and hourly staff within assigned restaurant.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally push and/or pull up to 50 pounds. The employee will spend over 4 hours daily standing or walking.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (BS/BA) Restaurant Management, Hospitality Management or related field preferred.
- 7 or more years of experience in Restaurant Management.
- Knowledge of industry trends, menu creation, coaching/training and building Restaurant Management teams.
- Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office products, DolceClock, OpenTable and TripleSeat.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work flexible hours and days. Must exhibit top-notch teamwork.
Other DutiesPlease note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k, Potential Bonuses
Other jobs you might be interested in
Wine Bar, Restaurant Group, Fine Dining, Upscale Casual, Cafe, Quick Service, Bar / Lounge
Part of Schulson Collective
Inspired by generations of Italian cooking and culture, Michael Schulson brings a fresh twist to the classics. Enjoy hand-made pasta, hand-rolled cannolis, and every meal in between at Giuseppe & Sons.