Required Years of Experience
SAGA will be the second restaurant from the team behind Crown Shy: Chef James Kent, former longtime Chef de Cuisine at Eleven Madison Park, and Jeff Katz, former Managing Director of Del Posto.
At SAGA, we will serve an 8-course tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from the Hudson Valley, with ideas and inspirations from our mentors, food memories from our childhoods, and the enormous breadth of cuisine we eat in New York City.
Our wine list will showcase regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of winemaking, with a focus on artisanal growers.
One floor above SAGA will be Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. An abbreviated food menu will be available at Overstory.
SAGA will be opening in August. Training will begin July 27th.
As a Host at SAGA, you are responsible for cooperating with the Maitre’D and the Management team to greet incoming and departing guests with a warm, knowledgeable & noticeably appreciative demeanor and a genuine smile with eye contact. You will escort them in the elevator to their assigned table at the top of the 70 Pine building, present the menu, and assist the dining room staff by always communicating important guest information to the proper parties. The Host must be capable of working in a team-oriented environment to achieve the restaurant’s common goal of guest satisfaction. The Host must be personable with guests and be able to anticipate their needs. The role of the Host is integral to the success of the restaurant.
SAGA believes in a ‘whole house’ mentality and we expect all departments (Pastry, Savory, Dining Room, and Facilities) to support and motivate each other to achieve our goal of guest satisfaction. As a Host, you will interact with all of these departments regularly and should be able to communicate effectively and respectfully with your co workers & managers.
This is a full time poisition and requires flexible schedule availability.
- Must have 2 years + experience in a fast paced NYC restaurant as a Host
- Experience working with Resy is preferred
- Must be knowledgeable of Industry critics & awards
- Must have full schedule availability
- Must be able to take constructive criticism and work well in a team dynamic
- Be warm, knowledgeable and noticeably appreciative
- Accommodate guests by making each individual feel welcome
- Act professionally and always maintain composure
- Identify and report problems to management immediately
- Be aware of service flow, dining timing, and adjust for each guest’s individual needs
- Implement and follow steps of service
- The Host should
- Be able to stand for extended periods of time [over 5 hours]
- Be able to lift and carry 50 pounds steadily
- Be comfortable bending, sitting, walking extended distances including up and down flights of stairs, and moving.
- Be comfortable with heights, elevators and small spaces.
- Comprehensive Benefits Package [medical, vision, dental]
- Pre-Tax Deductions for Commuters
- Paid Time Off
- Provide a work environment where you and your guests will want to return
- Provide opportunities for growth within the Hospitality industry
SAGA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Compensation: Hourly ($12.50) plus tips
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Wellness Program
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of J2K
Perched on the 63rd floor of an Art Deco tower at 70 Pine Street, SAGA is a fine dining restaurant in New York City’s Financial District. The restaurant is the sophomore project from James Kent and Jeff Katz, the team behind Crown Shy, which opened in March 2019 on the ground floor of the same building.
The SAGA suite comprises the top four stories of 70 Pine Street in the tiered spire of the building. One floor above SAGA is Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. The 62nd and 66th floors are dedicated to private events. The latter–the former observation deck of the building–is a private dining room for a single 18-person table accessed by a private elevator that rises from the ground.
The name ‘SAGA’ is an acronym of the first letters of Kent and Katz’s children's names.