Required Years of Experience
Make a meaningful impact as a Bartender at Blue Smoke!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Maialino, The Modern, Marta, Daily Provisions and Porchlight to name a few!
We are a Values-Driven Company that is committed to creating great work experiences for our people with lots of growth opportunities for advancement.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- 401 (K) to help you invest in your future
- Access to a generous Referral Program
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t- and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- A general understanding of the proper steps of service required of all Front of House service positions
- A base understanding of classic cookery, wine, beer, and cocktails
- A sense of urgency and strong work ethic to coordinate table pacing and maintain sections with Servers
- Strong communication and listening skills to develop trusting relationships with peers and guests
- The ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- A warm, compassionate, and team-focused approach
- Open availability
- 1-2 years full-service restaurant experience in a front of house support position
- Previous experience with restaurant point-of-sale (POS) systems
- Culinary and/or Beverage Degree/Certification(s)
- Hospitality Degree/Certification
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity and inclusion and belonging at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
USHG is proud to offer all qualified employees a package of employee benefits including; Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, Transit Discount program, 401k, Flexible Spending, Direct Deposit, Corporate Fitness Discount programs and an Employee Dining Program.
- Medical: Each of our PPO plans is designed to help you meet your healthcare needs and manage expenses for you (and your dependents) including the option to use in-network or out-of network providers. Our medical insurance offers three different options to employees with USHG sharing the cost of the premium with enrolled employees.
- Dental Insurance: USHG offers two dental policies: an in-network plan, and an out-of-network plan. We cover 100% of the cost of the “In Network” Plan for you (an individual plan) or we will apply a set dollar amount per month to the cost of your plan if you choose to add dependants or to go out-of-network using the Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plan.
- Vision: USHG offers a supplemental vision insurance program. The in-network plan includes an annual eye exam and a pair of glasses or set of contacts.
- Transit Program: All employees are eligible to elect to set aside pre-tax dollars each month toward the cost of commuting. You may choose up to the Federal Allowed maximum per month and these elections are deducted pre-tax. As a result you will pay less in taxes each year.
- 401(k) Plan: USHG offers a voluntary retirement investment plan that allows you to defer a portion of your income and use pre-tax dollars to save for your retirement. All employees who are 21 years of age or older may elect to participate after 12 months of continuous employment.
- Flexible Spending Accounts: All employees who have completed 12 months of continuous, full-time employment may elect to set up Flexible Spending Accounts in January of each year. Flexible Spending Accounts allow employees to defer pre-tax income to pay for certain eligible expenses including health care costs not covered by health insurance, transportation to work, and qualified child care expenses. Flexible Spending allows you to increase the income you take home by reducing the amount of taxes you pay for qualified expenses.
- Direct Deposit: We offer direct deposit of paychecks to your financial institution at no cost to you. You may sign up for direct deposit at any time.
- Corporate Discount Programs: As a USHG employee, you can get a discounted rate at area gyms and massage services. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to stay healthy and strong!
- Employee Dining Program: Through this program, we hope to make dining in our restaurants a reality for all our employees. The program starts out as a discount program and adds Dining Dollars over time.
Compensation: Hourly (Hourly)
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Union Square Hospitality Group
Blue Smoke celebrates the evolving American South and honors its culinary traditions. Inspired by the many regions of the South, from the Carolina coast to the hills of central Texas, the food is soulful with a selection of smoked meats, fresh produce, and thoughtfully sourced ingredients. Classic and specialty cocktails, an extensive American craft beer list, American wines and whiskey served by a welcoming team complete the experience.
Founded by Union Square Hospitality Group (USHG) in 2002 and named after the curl of blue smoke that rises out of perfectly smoked meat, Blue Smoke was the fruit of restaurateur Danny Meyer’s vision of creating a casual restaurant that would combine the soulful cuisine of America’s South with the fine dining DNA of his other USHG restaurants. In early 2001, Danny tapped two Union Square Cafe veterans, General Manager Mark Maynard-Parisi and Chef Kenny Callaghan, to lead the new restaurant. Since then, Danny, Mark, and a rotating cast of travel companions have eaten their way through Alabama, Georgia, Illinois, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas to research and understand the South’s diverse culinary traditions.
A year after opening the restaurant, Danny and the Blue Smoke team created the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party, inviting the country’s top pitmasters to cook their regional specialties on the streets of Manhattan for a giant celebration that today draws over 125,000 visitors, while raising funds to support the Madison Square Park Conservancy.
In 2014, Jean-Paul Bourgeois was named Executive Chef of Blue Smoke. Hailing from Louisiana and having cooked in fine dining kitchens across the country, including USHG’s Maialino, Jean-Paul shares his story and Southern culture through the menu at Blue Smoke.
The flagship Blue Smoke, with the club Jazz Standard, is located on East 27th Street in New York City, and a second location opened in 2012 in NYC’s Battery Park City. Blue Smoke also has two premium Blue Smoke on the Road baseball concessions at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets, and the Washington Nationals ballpark. In 2013, Blue Smoke on the Road opened at Delta Terminal 4 in John F. Kennedy International Airport.