Required Years of Experience
SAGA will be the second restaurant from the team behind Crown Shy: Chef James Kent, former longtime Chef de Cuisine at Eleven Madison Park, and Jeff Katz, former Managing Director of Del Posto.
At SAGA, we will serve an 8-course tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from the Hudson Valley, with ideas and inspirations from our mentors, food memories from our childhoods, and the enormous breadth of cuisine we eat in New York City.
Our wine list will showcase regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of winemaking, with a focus on artisanal growers.
One floor above SAGA will be Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. An abbreviated food menu will be available at Overstory.
SAGA will be opening in August. Training will begin July 27th.
As a FRONT SERVER at SAGA, you will coordinate with the Captain and Sommelier to attentively manage and maintain the pace of the Dining Room service and cleanliness of the table. You will assist in creating a memorable and unique experience for each guest that dines with us, as set forth by the Captain. Your commitment to company standards and values is a must.
SAGA believes in a ‘whole house’ mentality and we expect all departments (Pastry, Savory, Dining Room, and Facilities) to support and motivate each other to achieve our goal of guest satisfaction. As a Front Server, you will interact with all of these departments regularly and should be able to communicate effectively and respectfully with your co workers.
- Have a warm, positive, and noticeably appreciative demeanor towards guests and colleagues
- Strong food knowledge, familiarity with wine and spirits, and eagerness to learn
- Ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks in a given service
- Ability to participate in wine and beverage service
- Be able to effectively communicate, give and take constructive criticism, and work productively in a team dynamic
- Must have a strong focus, heightened attention to detail and precise organizational skills
- Have full schedule availability, including weekends and holidays
- The Front Server is responsible for but is not limited to the following tasks
- Learning and maintaining menu, wines by the glass and cocktail list knowledge
- Initiating and maintaining general table maintenance [ie. clearing dishes, replenishing silverware/service ware for following courses, re-setting tables for following seatings]
- Maintaining the pace of service in the Dining Room
- Restocking Dining Room service station wares
- Maintaining station cleanliness
- Maintaining warm and professional composure with colleagues and guests
- The Front Server should
- Be able to stand for extended periods of time [over 5 hours]
- Be able to lift and carry 50 pounds steadily
- Be comfortable bending, sitting, walking extended distances including up and down flights of stairs, and moving.
- Be comfortable with heights, elevators and small spaces.
- Comprehensive Benefits Package [medical, vision, dental]
- Pre-Tax Deductions for Commuters
- Paid Time Off
- Provide a work environment where you and your guests will want to return
- Provide opportunities for growth within the Hospitality industry
SAGA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Compensation: Hourly ($10.00) plus tips
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Wellness Program
Fine Dining Service
Food and Beverage Pairing Knowledge
Food Preparation Methods
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of J2K
Perched on the 63rd floor of an Art Deco tower at 70 Pine Street, SAGA is a fine dining restaurant in New York City’s Financial District. The restaurant is the sophomore project from James Kent and Jeff Katz, the team behind Crown Shy, which opened in March 2019 on the ground floor of the same building.
The SAGA suite comprises the top four stories of 70 Pine Street in the tiered spire of the building. One floor above SAGA is Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. The 62nd and 66th floors are dedicated to private events. The latter–the former observation deck of the building–is a private dining room for a single 18-person table accessed by a private elevator that rises from the ground.
The name ‘SAGA’ is an acronym of the first letters of Kent and Katz’s children's names.