Required Years of Experience
SAGA will be the second restaurant from the team behind Crown Shy: Chef James Kent, former longtime Chef de Cuisine at Eleven Madison Park, and Jeff Katz, former Managing Director of Del Posto.
At SAGA, we will serve an 8-course tasting menu that highlights the best produce we can source from the Hudson Valley, with ideas and inspirations from our mentors, food memories from our childhoods, and the enormous breadth of cuisine we eat in New York City.
Our wine list will showcase regions from the old and new world, encompassing traditional and modern styles of winemaking, with a focus on artisanal growers.
One floor above SAGA will be Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. An abbreviated food menu will be available at Overstory.
SAGA will be opening in August. Training will begin July 27th.
As a CAPTAIN at SAGA, you will be responsible for guiding and enhancing service from the initial greet through the guests’ departure, ensuring a thoughtful and engaged service and willingness for guests’ return. You will also be tasked with leading your team through a detail-focused service and creating calm in high-pressure situations. Your commitment to company standards and values is a must.
SAGA believes in a ‘whole house’ mentality and we expect all departments (Pastry, Savory, Dining Room, and Facilities) to support and motivate each other to achieve our goal of guest satisfaction. As a Captain, you will interact with all of these departments regularly and should be able to communicate effectively and respectfully with your co workers.
- Have a warm, positive, and noticeably appreciative demeanor towards guests and colleagues
- Must demonstrate strong food, wine, and spirits knowledge and eagerness to continue education
- Be comfortable using a digital point of sales system.
- Be able to effectively communicate, give and take constructive criticism, and productively lead in a small team dynamic.
- Must be able to easily adapt and improvise in order to personalize service for each guest
- Must have a strong focus, heightened attention to detail, precise organizational skills and a passion for the hospitality industry
- Have full schedule availability, including weekends and holidays
- The Captain is responsible for but is not limited to the following tasks
- Coordinating polished and personalized service for each table with the assistance of the Sommelier and Front Server
- Engaging in thoughtful yet concise conversation with the guest
- Managing and maintaining a multiple-table section following the required steps of service
- Learning and maintaining menu and beverage knowledge
- Maintaining warm and professional composure with colleagues and guests
- The Captain should
- Be able to stand for extended periods of time [over 5 hours]
- Be able to lift and carry 50 pounds steadily
- Be comfortable bending, sitting, walking extended distances including up and down flights of stairs, and moving.
- Be comfortable with heights, elevators and small spaces.
- Comprehensive Benefits Package [medical, vision, dental]
- Pre-Tax Deductions for Commuters
- Paid Time Off
- Provide a work environment where you and your guests will want to return
- Provide opportunities for growth within the Hospitality industry
SAGA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Compensation: Hourly ($10.00) plus tips
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, Commuter Benefits, Wellness Program
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of J2K
Perched on the 63rd floor of an Art Deco tower at 70 Pine Street, SAGA is a fine dining restaurant in New York City’s Financial District. The restaurant is the sophomore project from James Kent and Jeff Katz, the team behind Crown Shy, which opened in March 2019 on the ground floor of the same building.
The SAGA suite comprises the top four stories of 70 Pine Street in the tiered spire of the building. One floor above SAGA is Overstory, a cocktail bar with a wraparound terrace. The 62nd and 66th floors are dedicated to private events. The latter–the former observation deck of the building–is a private dining room for a single 18-person table accessed by a private elevator that rises from the ground.
The name ‘SAGA’ is an acronym of the first letters of Kent and Katz’s children's names.