Required Years of Experience
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Under the general direction of the Chef de Cuisine, the Executive Sous Chef oversees the Cotogna Kitchen operations and leads the team to deliver the exceptional guest experience that characterizes Cotogna. You will adhere to standard operating procedures for food quality and ensure the kitchen is compliant with the regulatory requirements for food handling, sanitation, and cleanliness. Assists and supports the Cotogna chef/sous chefs and effectively communicates their goals for the kitchen department and overall vision for the restaurant.
COTOGNA- Executive Chef responsibilities
- Food costs
- Costing of Cotogna menus
- Maintains food costs at targeted projected at 26%
- Weekly review with Cotogna CDC and Director of Finance
- Inventory controls and invoices
- Price/invoice auditing with Cotogna CDC; food costing and ensuring billing/price accuracy.
- Conduct monthly inventory along with sous chefs.
Schedule all C BOH labor- submits by Friday for approval. Schedule to be written for two-week calendar period.
- Labor management
- Run Cotogna BOH labor at targeted %’s- 11% for non-management wages.
- Tracking labor costs on a daily basis- Audit and sign off on daily micros labor reports.
- Reviews daily labor reports with Cotogna sous chefs
- Direct and manage Cotogna sous chefs and all other BOH members of the Cotogna team; hire, train, supervise, direct, and terminate.
- Develop job description for all Cotogna sous chefs.
- Direct Cotogna sous chefs to oversee the setup of line cook stations.
- Liaison between executive chef/owner and Cotogna sous chefs and Cotogna line cooks
- Liaison between Quince and Cotogna: Quince CDC, Quince AM/PM Sous Chefs (including purchaser), Quince butcher, Quince steward, Quince porter, Quince and Cotogna dish team.
- Liaison with Pastry Department and direct Cotogna pastry sous chef in the direction and requirements of the Cotogna dessert program to include the following.
- Schedule review
- Tasting and approval of new Cotogna desserts
- Cotogna Bread program
- Direct and manage all BOH Cotogna employees; hire, train, supervise and terminate.
- Meeting requirements: OPS once a week, Owner once a week, Cotogna CDC daily. Quince management BOH and FOH once week, Controller once a month.
- Comply with and enforce the safety standards set by QPA LLC.
- Keep employees informed about safety inspections, injury and illness statistics, and other safety-related issues that are specific to their job duties.
- Proper and timely assessment of risks to health and safety, and implementation of measures and arrangements identified as necessary from the assessments.
Oversees and directs all programs; Dining room service- lunch and dinner, Brunch service, Box program, Farmhouse Tables, private events, and caterings.
Coordinate Market runs with Quince operations.
- Compliance with Quince & Co Handbook in accordance with all Company policies and procedures
- Responsible for all staff orientation for all new BOH Hires, including kitchen management.
- Recruitment of all Cotogna BOH positions; cooks, prep, etc.,
- Follow up/train all sous chefs that all HR paperwork and procedures are being followed.
- New Hire paperwork
- Term paperwork
- BOH Employee evaluations with Executive Chef/Owner
- Safety and Injury prevention training
- Accurate rate of pay, department reporting and daily time keeping management of all Cotogna BOH employees, including break, meal, and rest periods.
- Employee retention and staff morale
- Responsible for all Cotogna BOH scheduling for all positions and subject to approval.
- Responsible for all scheduling and coordination of staffing for off sites and caterings
- Present and prepared for all Quince and Cotogna Management meetings
- Maintains and coordinates master schedule for kitchen and BOH operations, meetings, off sites, farm tables, caterings etc.,
REPAIRS and MAINTENANCE
- Responsible for maintaining and keeping in good working all kitchen equipment and assets.
- Maintains and coordinates master schedule for all Cotogna repairs, deliveries, and service calls, regular scheduled or otherwise to include.
- Ovens and Hoods
- All Cotogna kitchen small wares
- Wood and Fuel
- Pest Control
- All mechanical, electrical, and plumbing
- Recipe Documentation per station per dish
- Train all sous chefs and cooks per recipe.
- Change menu- three-week rotation.
- New dish testers- mandatory tastings with Owner and/or Q CDC
- Maintains Cotogna recipe database.
- Responsible for foraging and sourcing- utilize rooftop garden.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous restaurant experience required
- Food Handler’s certification
- Availability to work every day of the week including holidays
- Ability to traverse all parts of the restaurant quickly and safely
- Must be able to work standing 7-8 hours (excluding breaks) at a time
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds at time
- Must be able to comply with all health and safety standards
Quince & Co reserves the right to revise and change job duties as the need arises.
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k, Commuter Benefits, Dining Discounts
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Chef Michael Tusk
Cotogna is a celebration of rustic Italian cuisine and offers a daily-changing menu of spit-roasted or grilled meats and fish, wood-oven pizzas and house-made pastas.
Located in San Francisco's historic Jackson Square, Cotogna ('quince' in Italian) is a casual, lively venue and a compliment to the adjoining Quince Restaurant, Chef Michael Tusk’s celebrated fine dining establishment.