Required Years of Experience
Makoto by Makoto Okuwa ushers in Japanese Cuisine for the 21st century clientele with his Edomae style sushi. The flawless execution of this culinary experience ranges from raw fish, to premium beef, and charcoal grilled skewers. We are now seeking a new and eager Restaurant Manager for our formal Japanese concept.
We offer: An opportunity to work with/learn from a motivated skilled team. Support to achieve career advancement and professional growth with over 30+ sister restaurants in our group, we have unique opportunities, all of which in major metropolitan cities. Additionally , a compensation package which is above market standards, including 2 weeks paid vacation, a comprehensive benefits coverage, 401k options, company dining privileges and more!
Qualified candidates will have:
- 2+ years of restaurant management experience in a well-rated restaurant-preferably Japanese
- A true love and appreciation for Japanese cuisine
- Experience hiring, training and mentoring a diverse team of hourly staff
- Basic computer and account knowledge including: Word, Excel, scheduling software, Open Table, Onboarding, & HR systems
- Strong food and wine knowledge with an eagerness to teach others.(especially as it pertains to sushi, ramen and other Asian & Japanese preparations)
- Ability to lead by example to drive the success of the team and restaurant
- Responsible for working as a member of a cohesive management team that supports each other's decisions and presents a united front to the staff.
- Functions as a role model to staff. A Manager maintains a positive, "win-win" attitude, always working to improve the restaurant.
- Coach and develop the FOH hourly staff members to improve performance and ensure all Makoto standards are being achieved.
Build the Business
- Increase guest counts by ensuring excellence and instills this philosophy to every employee.
- Understand the expectations for food and beverage quality in order to actively manage the product quality and consistency on a daily basis.
- Maximize hospitality on the floor while ensuring that the hourly team delivers consistent service and professionalism.
- Assisting the GM with overseeing all aspects of the staffing of the restaurant and supervision of hourly employees.
- Interviewing and selection of all employees, seeking out individuals who will continually improve the level of service and whose diversity would benefit the staff.
- Training of all new employees.
Deliver Results (Financial & Profitability)
- Maximize sales and optimize profits through the management of all cost centers.
- Remain abreast of the budget and understand the reasons behind why the budgeted targets were or were not met
Compensation: Salary (Based on Experience)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k, Commuter Benefits, Potential Bonuses, Dining Discounts, Wellness Program, Competitive base Salary, dining discounts, potential quarterly bonus, full benefits plan and paid vacation days.
Classic Food / Wine Service
Event Management / Organization
Experience in a Fine Dining Establishment
Food / Beverage Pairing
Food Safety Knowledge
Hospitality / Management Degree
Upscale Casual, Restaurant Group
1 Employee RecommendationSee Details
Part of STARR Restaurants
With over twenty years of experience, Chef Makoto Okuwa has developed his own take on Japanese cuisine, where traditional Edomae-Sushi meets innovative flair. Chef Makoto’s introduction to the intricacies of Japanese cooking, especially sushi, began in his hometown of Nagoya, Japan. At the age of 15, Makoto began an apprenticeship with Sushi Master Makoto Kumazaki; his study continued under the tutelage of legendary Sushi Master Chef Shinichi Takegasa. After ten years of training in Japan, Makoto moved to Washington, D.C. where he began to work closely with Iron Chef Morimoto and was soon asked to assume the Head Sushi Chef role at Morimoto New York and Morimoto Philadelphia. In 2005, he was recognized by the James Beard Foundation for outstanding contribution.
In 2007, Makoto received a New York Rising Star Chef award by StarChef.com. Following these accolades, he also made several appearances on the Food Network’s original “Iron Chef America” alongside his mentor Iron Chef Morimoto. In 2007, Makoto fulfilled a lifelong dream by opening up his own restaurant, Sashi Sushi + Sake Lounge in Manhattan Beach, California, where he remains a partner. Sashi quickly received top praise from Los Angeles Magazine and the L.A. Times. In 2009, Makoto was asked to appear on Iron Chef America as a competitor, allowing him to showcase his extraordinary culinary expertise.
At his new namesake restaurant in Bal Harbor, Makoto continues to evolve his style of crafting playful, exquisitely presented dishes which pay tribute to Japanese tradition. “I have a true respect for keeping with Japanese tradition, but also feel it’s important to add my own variation in order to appeal to a wide array of palates,” says Makoto. In his menu creations, he continues to draw inspiration from his colleagues, mentors, and Bal Harbor’s well-traveled, sophisticated clientele, in addition to the restaurant’s beautiful ambiance.