Required Years of Experience
We are looking for a PRODUCTION/PREP COOK to assist in the bulk production of value-added products for the Butchery and Ready to Cook programs. Full or part-time position available for the right candidate.
About the PRODUCTION/PREP COOK
- You are passionate about the artisan food world and love cooking.
- You are engaging and approachable at all times - with customers, fellow staff, and management.
- You have previous experience working in a professional kitchen environment (preferably at least 1 year of cooking experience)
- You are willing to commit to the position for at least one year, with weekend, evening, and holiday availability
- Execute the preparation of produce and meats for ready to cook program. i.e. marinating, tying roast, and mixing of ground products
- Various butcher prep work, including but not limited to:
- Roasting bones for stocks.
- Making spice kits for sausage / pates / terrines
- Cooking larger format items for grab and go cases (pasta sauces, soups, sauces.)
- Rendering fats
- Using automated smoke house
- Use of general kitchen equipment (bowl chopper, immersion blenders, deli slicers)
- Communicate to the production manager for raw products off the whole animal.
- Cleaning/facing of retail cases
- Adhere to all food safety regulations and guidelines.
- Ensures rotation requirements for all butcher, deli, and RTC products are consistently achieved.
- Ensure kitchen and prep environment is kept clean, organized and contribute to it running efficiently and responsively.
- Demonstrates dependability and flexibility; meets attendance requirements.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Production Manager/Head Butcher
- 1 year of culinary school, industry, or related experience in a food industry setting preferred (restaurant, grocery, or related venue)
- Basic understanding of poultry butchery
- Flexible work schedule (e.g. weekends and holidays)
- Passion for the local food movement a plus
- Understands how to be a part of a small team environment
- Has a positive attitude and a great sense of quality and urgency
- Must maintain a neat and tidy appearance
- Adherence to sanitation and safety procedures
- Physically able to lift up to 50 pounds safely and repeatedly
About Local Foods
Local Foods is Chicago’s first wholesale distributor and retailer of primarily local foods from the Midwest’s best farmers. We source and deliver the finest farm foods to consumers, restaurants, grocers, schools and institutions. We started Local Foods to simplify the way Midwestern farmers’ products are brought to market and bring the stories of producers to life. We want to make the best tasting local foods easy and accessible! We put an emphasis on great food and great relationships – with our farmers, staff, and with our customers.
This position is open immediately. To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO): It is the policy of Local Foods that all employees and applicants be afforded equal opportunities in employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, disability, or retaliation for engaging in an EEO protected activity. The Company prohibits discrimination or harassment based on any of these categories, as well as on age, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a parent, military service, or any other bases protected under applicable local, state, or federal law.
Compensation: Hourly ($14.50 - $15.50)
Benefits & Perks: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Paid Time Off, 401k
Other jobs you might be interested in
Farm To Table
Local Foods is Chicago’s first wholesale distributor and retailer of primarily local foods from the Midwest’s best farmers. We source and deliver the finest farm foods to consumers, restaurants, grocers, schools and institutions. Through our one-of-a-kind Bucktown processing facility, event space and retail store, we bring the stories of producers to life. We started Local Foods to simplify the way Midwestern farmers’ products are brought to market, and to make the best tasting local foods easy and accessible.