As the premier institution of Lebanese food culture and hospitality values in the US, ilili has built its reputation sharing the elevated cuisine of Philippe Massoud with New Yorkers. ilili is the city’s go-to restaurant for sophisticated Lebanese cuisine, and with its acceptance at the upper echelons of New York’s dining scene has achieved world renown. Located on 5th avenue just north of Madison Square Park and south of the Empire State building, ilili is a vibrant, bustling meeting point of New York savvy and Lebanese generosity.
We’re currently looking for a Maitre D' who can lead the host team and be the lead in managing the book during service, lead guest relations and assist in administrative work.
As a growing company, we are looking for individuals with a generosity of spirit who truly enjoy working in the hospitality business and want to be part of our growth.
We are dedicated to taking your career as far as you want to take it, we love to promote from within, so if you want to grow, we are it..
Scope of Position
The Maitre D' will be responsible for assisting to execute all FOH operations. We are seeking individuals who have great communication skills, strong work ethic, passion for hospitality, commitment to excellence, who understand the importance of teamwork. Ability to multi-task and demonstrate athleticism is a must. The Maître D’ is responsible for coordinating and managing all reservations, walk-ins, dining room and PDR seatings, guest assistance and the flow of guests in and out of the restaurant as well as providing the host team with directives throughout the shift. They will work as an integral part of the service team, dedicated to providing guests with the most impeccable, accurate, and courteous service possible and exceeding guest expectations by paying attention to guests' needs at all times. In addition to being part of an entire ILILI team dedicated to being the penultimate example of greatness in products and services on the property, the maître’d is responsible for supervising Front of house staff and providing gracious and accurate customer service in order to help ILILI exceed customer satisfaction standards. A Maître D’ should be experienced with the culture of a vibrant venue and have extensive knowledge of the tools that we utilize to operate it. This includes a great deal of experience with OpenTable and the ability to build and maintain reservation books and guest profiles
- Minimum 3 years professional experience in high volume restaurant/ hospitality; Previous experience in a luxury hotel or fine dining restaurant is an asset
- Proficient in the English language (verbal & written), second language is an asset
- Knowledge of POS and reservation systems
- Provide the highest levels of hospitality to guests at all times
- Must be flexible to working days, early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays; able to work 8+hours and late nights
- Able to delegate effectively with a sense of professionalism
- Must possess a positive attitude and have the ability to work with a variety of people and in cooperation with coworkers efficiently and effectively
- Must be detail oriented and able to manage competing priorities and multiple deadlines in a fast paced environment
- Ability to easily adapt to organizational and environmental changes
- Report to work at the scheduled time, neatly groomed and in compliance with company Dress Code Policy
- Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of food and wine an asset
- The Matire'd is expected to plan, organize and direct the books for the week ahead. The Matire'd is expected to be well versed in using Guest Center/ Open Table as well as in mentoring Hosts at the Host Stand.
- Represent the ILILI brand and uphold fine-dining standards of behavior and etiquette; the leader of front desk team
- Communicate pleasantly and courteously with guest, management and co-workers
- Build relationships with our current guests and create bonds with the new guests
- Remain observant, engaged and courteous in all guest interactions including greeting guests, accompanying to tables and telephone communications
- Promptly and accurately create, handle, and change restaurant reservations
- Create and assign tables onto the floor chart daily; thorough knowledge of layout of restaurant, tables, seat numbers
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of current guest services, activities, dining options, shops, local attractions, and historical information regarding New York City and the surrounding area to answer any questions guests may have to the best of one’s ability
- Ensure that all guest facing information is always current for online, in venue, and with the reservations department. This includes all operational information, marketing materials, menus etc.
- Uphold high service standards to ensure a memorable guest experience
- Maintaining a safe, sanitary, and organized work environment
- Skills and ability to: Ability to communicate in the English language (Second language is a plus); must be a team player. Knowledge of proper chemical handling, cleaning techniques and use of equipment/ machinery, ability to work flexible schedules including holidays and weekends; able to perform multiple tasks.
- Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that are to be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions: Must be able to work in a fast paced environment, must be physically fit in order to lift, pull and push items up to 50 pounds. Also requires standing/walking/reaching and bending throughout shift. Able to work and stand for prolonged periods of time
The individual will be evaluated on service goals and adherence to the above standards, as well as the following Competencies.
- Courtesy in an authentic manner
- Creating Opportunities out of Challenges
- Contributing knowledge and making appropriate suggestions to enhance the guest experience
- Professionalism and Employee Presence
If you are interested in an opportunity that will accelerate your career and you meet all of these requirements, please submit your resume and compensation requirements for consideration.
• Competitive Pay • PTO • Health insurance • Career growth • Transit Benefits • Gym, Yoga, Meditation/Wellness reimbursement up to $100/month
Other jobs you might be interested in
Lebanese, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
The story of ilili is embedded in a rich heritage of Lebanese cuisine and hospitality, dating back over 100 years and covering three generations of the Massoud family. A story that begins inside the walls of Beirut’s most iconic hotel and finds its way to the bustling streets of NYC.
Executive Chef & Owner Philippe Massoud and brother/co-owner Alex grew up in Beirut’s Coral Beach Hotel, started by grandfather, Alexander and passed down to father, George. This was Lebanon’s Golden Age, and the Coral Beach was Beirut’s social and cultural hub. It was here that Philippe first developed an interest in food, studying under the hotel’s head chef, and learning the nuances of regional flavors and elevated hospitality.
Philippe and Alex were forced to flee the Lebanese civil war as young teens, leaving their country, family and friends behind to settle in the U.S.. Yet despite the distance, Philippe’s love for the food culture of his homeland grew only stronger, a yearning exacerbated by the poor quality of the Lebanese food on offer.
Soon a clear vision emerged – one where Lebanese food gained the recognition it deserved, and sat alongside the world’s great cuisines as a true equal.
Lebanese cuisine is a sensory experience; an invitation for people to join your table to celebrate. It is about bringing people together around a shared theme of love, celebration, generosity, and care. This is the essence of ilili.
Executive Chef & CEO