The Executive Chef is directly responsible for the cost-effective operation of clean and safe kitchen and dish room facilities while meeting or exceeding food quality and speed of service requirements. The Chef works as part of the management team of the restaurant to build sales and grow the business.
Please continue reading and apply only if you live in the Greater Boston area.
- Creates and maintains an upbeat, productive and educational environment.
- Projects a positive attitude and visible respect for all employees and food. Responsible for ongoing training and perpetual improvement of product and work place (i.e. Safety & Sanitation).
- Provides feedback and direction to the Sous Chefs so as to continue their development.
- As a lead member of the management team, participates in weekly restaurant meetings to discuss the business and the role of the kitchen in the building of the business.
Recruiting & Hiring
- Establishes and maintains appropriate staffing levels and remaining abreast of any changes which may impact staffing needs
- Recruits and hires a crew of quality employees, including Sous Chefs and Executive Chefs for future locations.
- Ensures all kitchen employees’ personnel files are completed at time of hire to include; application, interview evaluation, reference check, signed job descriptions, employee data sheet, federal and state tax forms and I-9 form. (** An employee may not begin work without presenting legitimate identification that shows that he/she is allowed to work in the United States.)
- Establishes a system whereby all employees are thoroughly trained in issues pertaining to their position, (i.e. knife safety, proper handling of product, use of chemicals, etc.)
- Works with the General Manager to provide on going training of the menu to the Front of the House through pre-shift and additional meetings as necessary
- Teaches and coaches staff on a daily basis
- Completes bi-yearly performance reviews of Sous Chefs
- Works with the Sous Chefs to ensure all kitchen employees receive a yearly review
- Maintains accurate employee files and proper documentation including thorough, signed documentation for any and all disciplinary incidents, counseling sessions, accidents/injuries with regards to workman’s compensation, termination reports and change of status forms.
- Monitors quality and manages prime and local vendors accordingly.
- Orders effectively, based on sales; simultaneously taking advantage of available incentives and receiving produce, seafood, poultry and meat as often as economically possible.
- Ensures proper receiving, rotation, storage and handling of these products.
- The chef is responsible for setting appropriate prep levels to ensure fresh product and effective use of man-hours. The chef is expected to take a “hands on” approach and be directly involved in daily production.
- Specials: Author the daily specials keeping in context with the restaurant’s identity.
- Events - Create the menus for all special events
Financial and Profitability
- Works with the rest of the management team to maximize sales and optimize profits through the management of food and labor costs.
- Participates in all P&L review meetings, be able to analyze a monthly P&L, develop an appropriate kitchen action plan and follow through on those plans.
- Works with his/her staff in making a continual effort to find ways to reduce costs in all areas of the restaurant. In particular, the Chef is responsible for the following:
- Monitoring daily labor reports and minimizing overtime
- Weekly assessments of food cost based on purchases
- Producing a complete and accurate physical food inventory on a monthly basis
Quality Assurance & Sanitation
- Ensures the strict adherence to SRG standards of quality for food served to include:
- Proper handling & storage
- Portion Size
- Proper use of techniques and cooking procedures
- Maintains high standards in all areas of safety, security and sanitation.
- Ensures that all preventive maintenance, cleaning and repairs are scheduled in a timely manner.
- Ensures that all Health Department regulations are enforced on a daily basis.
- Able to train and manage a large staff.
- Able to stand for a 10-14 hour shift
- Experienced in high volume food sales.
- Possess leadership, team building and implementation skills.
- 4 years of management experience
- 7 years of foodservice experience
- Exhibits superior technical and natural cooking abilities
WHO WE ARE
The award-winning Schlow Restaurant Group, features the cuisine of acclaimed chef, Michael Schlow. With restaurants spanning the country, Michael Schlow is one of the most influential and respected chefs in America today. His ability to capture a variety of global cuisines and techniques has led to appearances on Bravo's Top Chef Masters, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, The Today Show, Good Morning America, CBS This Morning, Nightline, and The Food Network. Michael's been the recipient of many awards including being named "Best Chef in the Northeast" by the James Beard Foundation.
Schlow Restaurant Group and all of its restaurants are Equal Opportunity Employers.
Part of Schlow Restaurant Group
With restaurants spanning the country, Michael Schlow is one of the most influential and respected chef/restaurateurs in America today. His ability to capture a variety of global cuisines and techniques has led to appearances on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, Bravo’s Top Chef Masters, The Today Show, Good Morning America, The Rachel Ray Show, CBS This Morning, Nightline, and The Food Network. He’s been the recipient of many awards including being named “Best Chef in the Northeast” by the James Beard Foundation, “Best Chef in the Country” by Sante Magazine, as well as the “Culinary Award of Excellence” given out by Robert Mondavi to only 6 recipients a year.
Schlow has spent his life cultivating his craft, learning the restaurant business the old-fashioned way, from the bottom up. Starting as a dishwasher at age 14, Schlow has excelled at every position in the industry. He worked his way up through some of the best restaurants in the world, and now as owner and concept creator, has shown the ability to continually produce restaurants that are critical, as well as financial successes.
His restaurants have been recognized as some of the best in the world by Esquire, Food & Wine, Conde Nast Traveler, and Gourmet.
He is the author “It’s About Time, Great Recipes for Everyday Life” and is regularly requested to appear and speak about the restaurant and