Renowned, multi-concept, James Beard Award winning STARR Restaurants has begun the arduous process of rebuilding our company in the global pandemic driven "new normal" of consumer dining. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we recently reopened our restaurants in accordance with the CDC and city regulations. The welfare of our community has always been, and continues to be, our highest priority, and we have taken the time to implement new operational standards to keep our guests and team members safe and healthy.
The next phase of our reopening process is to rebuild our teams from the top down with talented culinary firepower that can continue our prior momentum of amazing success in Philly! Presently we are seeking a skilled Sous Chef one of our several of our properties in Center City.
At STARR Restaurants, the Sous Chef is a leader in one of the most dynamic and diverse collection of high-end, high-volume restaurants in the country. With a proven commitment to excellence, STARR Restaurants has been the recipient of awards and recognition including two 2017 James Beard Awards. The Sous Chef works to assist the Executive Chef in operating a clean, safe kitchen and dish room facilities while meeting or exceeding food quality and speed of service requirements. through moments that surprise, details that delight and flavors that linger long after the last plate is cleared.ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supervising between 5 and 15 kitchen staff employees to ensure preparation for service of all stations; coordinating all activities concerning food preparation, kitchen, and storage areas.
Build the Business
- Participating in recipe and menu development and maintaining the in-house core recipe files.
- Maintaining high standards in all areas of security, safety, cleanliness, and sanitation; ensuring that all Health Department regulations are enforced on a daily basis.
Build the Team
- Creating and managing staff employee work schedules, establishing, and delegating work duties for employees with appropriate coverage of all kitchen area.
- Developing a cohesive team by assisting the Executive Chef in the recruiting, hiring, training, and performance management of the culinary team.
- Conducting proper pre-meals and other educational seminars with front of the house employees.
- Assist subordinate team as required during high volume times (approx. 10%)
Drive for Results
- Verifying that quality standards, department rules, policies and procedures are maintained by kitchen employees.
- Purchasing food items and managing inventory of various products for the operation.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive kitchen management experience
- Ability to manage all stations from prep to service
- Experience hiring, training and mentoring a diverse hourly staff.
- Excellent meat/fish butchery skills and know all properties of making stocks & sauces
- Ability to drive performance success.
- A minimum of an associate's degree from a culinary focused university - preferred
Advanced Knife Handling
Culinary Menu / Recipe Development
Dough Making / Portioning
Food Safety Knowledge
General knife handling
Ordering / Receiving