The Sous Chef will assist the Chef de Cuisine with the running and management of the kitchen. You will be comfortable working under pressure, executing a range of daily tasks; ensuring a kitchen that produces exemplary food whilst simultaneously fostering a healthy, happy work environment. You will be able to step into the CDC role on a regular basis, therefore your ability to lead and manage every aspect of the kitchen is imperative.
We are currently providing a dining service to guests outside in our patio area and a 'to go' service via Caviar.
We are looking for someone that has a minimum of 2 years experience at Sous Chef level in a similar calibre restaurant.
The primary responsibilities include:
- You will be able to to step into a leadership role in the absence of the Chef de Cuisine
- Can oversee kitchen operations in accordance with company standards
- Constantly be a mentor for all kitchen employees, assisting in their training
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in managing the line and all kitchen employees
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with scheduling and labor controls
- Assists the Chef de Cuisine with staff communication, eg meetings, feedback, scheduling
- Train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement, and plating of dishes
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with labor controls and scheduling
- Support the team through the many changes because of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Works in liaison with the front-of-house management team to ensure efficient restaurant operations.
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine in the creation, costing, and implementation of menus
- Execute menu items from start to finish, ensuring quality is always maintained
- Assist the Chef de Cuisine with costing and inventory, in order to ensure budgets are met while waste is avoided
- Uphold the highest standards of food safety, food handling, and sanitation requirements in order to ensure the health and safety of staff and guests
- Understand and uphold sanitary standards and employee health checks in relation to COVID-19 requirements
- Ensure all staff members adhere to culinary standards and regulations
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for long periods, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours.
Health Insurance, Commuter Benefit, Employee Discount, Regular Reviews
General knife handling
Ordering / Purchasing
Staff education / motivation
Up to 100 covers a night
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Matter House
Located on a bright downtown corner, Altro Paradiso serves chef-owner Ignacio Mattos' light, satisfying takes on Italian cuisine: a beloved fennel salad with provolone cheese, arancini dipped in Calabrian chili oil, and house-made candele cacio e pepe, to name but a few classics. Though Altro frequently ranks among the best places to eat in New York City, it's a pretty laid-back place that tends to attract quite a few regulars from the neighborhood.
At the moment, we are serving guests exclusively on our patio, which looks out onto Hudson Square. We’re also providing delivery and takeaway services, including a weekly To-Go Box filled with pastas, pantry items, sweets, and other dishes to enjoy at home.