Hires, trains, supervise and evaluate the work of management staff in the food and pastry production departments.
- Plans menus (with Food and Beverage Director) for all food outlets at the Club (a la carte, events, in room dining, satellite outlets (spa, snack bar, pool)
- 80% actively involved in running the kitchen and 20% administrative (payroll, food cost, planning, etc)
- Creativity – firm grasp of diverse cooking styles and ingredients, experience with Wine Country cuisine a plus
- Attracting, developing and retaining culinary talent, good mentorship
- Out front and visible to members in the dining room and at events
- Schedules and coordinates the work of chefs, cooks and other kitchen employees to assure that food preparation is economical and technically correct and within budgeted labor cost goals.
- The Club operation is open year round and closed most Tuesdays. The Executive Chef must understand that a high work ethic is needed to manage, direct and control his/her operations.
- Approves the requisition of products and other necessary food supplies.
- Ensures that high standards of sanitation, cleanliness and safety are maintained throughout all kitchen areas at all times.
- Establishes controls to minimize food and supply waste and theft.
- Safeguards all food preparation employees by implementing training to increase their knowledge about safety, sanitation and accident prevention principles.
- Develops standard recipes and techniques for food preparation and presentation which help to assure consistently high quality and to minimize food costs; exercises portion control for all items served and assists in establishing menu selling prices.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met
- Attends food and beverage staff and management meetings
- Consults with the Events Manager and Food and Beverage Director about food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cooks or directly supervises the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Evaluates food products to assure that quality standards are consistently attained.
- Interacts with applicable food and beverage managers to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests
- Plans and manages the employee meal program
- Evaluates products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met
- Develops policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Recruits and makes selection decisions; evaluates job performance of kitchen staff; corrects, rewards and disciplines staff in a fair and legal manner
- Recommends compensation rates/increases for kitchen staff
- Establishes and maintains a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule for all kitchen areas and equipment
- Provides training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff
- Ensures that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings
- Motivates and develops staff including cross-training and promotion of personnel
- Periodically visits dining area when it is open to welcome members
- Hosts taste panels to assess feasibility of proposed menu items
- Expedites food during peak meal periods.
- Undertakes all tasks as assigned by the General Manager
- Capable of leading culinary demonstrations and field trip
- Ability to develop culinary content (recipes) for newsletter and communications
- Two or four year culinary degree from an established institution preferred
- Minimum four years’ experience in service and hospitality management positions
- Strong food and beverage knowledge with an emphasis on ingredient driven seasonal cuisine in food and wine pairing
- Serv Safe Manager Certified
- Ability to prioritize in rapidly changing environment
- Ability to be a leader with a desire to educate and empower team members and create accountability standards.
Medical, Dental, Vision, Life/LTD, Vacation, Sick Leave, Holiday, 401K, Employee Golf
Other jobs you might be interested in
Country / Golf Club
Mayacama is one of the West's leading private clubs, with opportunities for growth and advancement. We are currently seeking a motivated and skilled Sous Chef for our fast paced, restaurant and club events. Mayacama, located just 45 minutes north of San Francisco, is in Sonoma County near the town of historical Healdsburg.