This is a leadership position at a high-profile upscale casual restaurant in the heart of downtown Napa’s culinary scene, and it provides opportunities for personal and professional growth.
Compline Wine Bar and Restaurant has been awarded Wine Enthusiast's "Top 100 Wine Restaurants in America," Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence," and three stars from World of Fine Wines. We received a Michelin Guide "Plate" recommendation in 2019.
We are looking for an experienced Executive Chef who thrives on constant menu evolution and creative freedom, while understanding the administrative, managerial, and financial skill sets necessary for the position. A complete kitchen team is otherwise in place, and we are in a solid position to move safely forward as COVID restrictions start to ebb.
This is a full-time salaried position available now. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package that includes health benefits, paid time off, and an employee discount program. This is a great opportunity for anyone looking to leave the city for a more tranquil Napa Valley.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Ordering, receiving and maintaining monthly kitchen inventory.
• Menu planning, including regular updates, in collaboration with ownership and Sous Chef.
• Developing consistent recipes that are documented and tested.
• Sourcing kitchen ingredients and materials, with special consideration for local purveyors
• Establishing kitchen budget and remaining in line with food cost goals established by management.
• Training, mentoring and managing the Sous Chef and Culinary Team.
• Presenting a consistent leadership role model for all staff members.
• Responsible for Food Safety Training and Compliance.
• Maintaining upkeep of all kitchen equipment and contacts with repair services.
• Maintaining positive customer outreach during standard service and at promotional events.
• Leading regular Culinary Team meetings and attending weekly management meetings.
• Writing and updating HACCP plans for all necessary equipment and procedures in the kitchen.
• Remaining a positive and professional representative both in and out of the establishment.
• Maintaining Social Distancing and New Safety Protocols as prescribed by management.
• Directly supervises and manages the daily work of the Sous Chef and the Culinary Team.
• Ensures compliance with all regulations regarding food safety management and health code standards/regulations. (Internal and External Kitchen Inspections)
• Budgetary development and monitoring for the Culinary Department.
• Continued training of FOH members on food product, menu changes, and food knowledge.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
• Minimum of 5-10 years related experience, preferably in an upscale casual or fine dining establishment.
• Experience in expediting and managing food service.
• Experience in Teaching / Instructing is preferred.
• Pastry experience is preferred.
• Understanding of and experience with food and wine pairing.
• Excellent presentation skills and ability to speak in front of a large group with confidence is preferred.
• Strong computer skills including proficiency in Word, Outlook, and Excel. Working knowledge of Toast POS reports is a plus.
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team player that can multitask and work efficiently in high volume or high-pressure situations.
• Must be highly organized and be able to work with limited supervision.
• Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work in a developing atmosphere with enthusiasm.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards.
• Passionate, focused, creative, and a positive outlook.
• BA and/or Culinary Certification preferred.
• Must have a valid Serve Safe Managerial Certification and have HACCP knowledge.
• Must be able to provide working leadership and guidance to lower-level employees and to peers on a daily basis.
• Ability to interpret a variety of data furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
• Ability to solve practical problems associated with the Culinary Program and Kitchen Facilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
• Prolonged standing in place and walking.
• Working in a high temperature area.
• Lift and/or move up to 45 pounds safely and repeatedly.
• Work extended hours during some events, holidays, and off hours of operation, including evenings and weekends.
Our goal is to provide a consistent 5-day weekly schedule with 2 consecutive days off each week. We will be closed every Christmas, New Year's Day, and Thanksgiving.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Benefits (including vacation pay, medical, and dental insurance) and bonus compensation structures
Other jobs you might be interested in
Upscale Casual, Wine Bar
Latin for the “completion of the working day,” Compline is downtown Napa’s premier gathering spot for tourists, locals, and the wine trade.
Partners Ryan Stetins and Master Sommelier Matt Stamp are on the ﬂoor daily, forging personal connections with each of our guests. The bar at Compline, while energetic and vibrant, remains an expression of Napa wine country—it’s relaxed and convivial, with a smart crowd and plenty of ﬂowing wine.
Compline is a new style of wine destination. At night Compline is a bustling wine bar and restaurant. During the day, we offer a full complement of educational opportunities—quick, fun classes for the beginning wine tourist and in-depth explorations for the seasoned pro.
At Compline, we believe that Napa wines are world class. Our bar list focuses on local favorites, placed in the wider context of worldwide classics. Our menu is likewise rooted in California wine country—simple, shareable, seasonal, and locally sourced. Compline also offers a separate retail selection of wines, available day or night.
Our ﬂoor staff is second to none. We draw from a nationwide network of aspiring and junior sommeliers. Working the ﬂoor at Compline is an apprenticeship for some of the brightest budding young sommeliers in the country.